Apple has released iOS 16.3 (20D47) for iPhone 8 and later models, today, Monday January 23, as leaked by us a couple of days ago. Check out all the new features, bugs fixed, ongoing problems as well as new issues reported by users!
iOS 16.3 Issues
- 1. Duplicate Mail notifications although a single email is received. Reported by Jesse2935.
Fix: We’ve covered this issue during iOS 15. Here are some potential fixes.
- 2. Lock Screen notification animations are still not running smooth in this build as reported by RosstheBoss421.
- 3. Face ID Try Again prompt shows for a short time after successful unlock for this Reddit user. Does it happen to you too?
- 4. Haptic feedback weaker than previous versions for TL24SS. Do you agree?
- 5. Memory leaks causing app & system hangs seem to be still occurring. Can you confirm?
- 6. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments.)
iOS 16.3 Features
Changes and improvements mentioned in the release notes, as well as reported by users are highlighted here:
iOS 16.3 Release Notes
- 1. New Unity wallpaper that honors Black history and culture in time for the Black History Month. More details available here.
- 2. Security Keys for Apple ID allow users to increase the security of accounts by using a physical security key, as part of the twofactor authentication sign in process on new devices.
How To: They’re available in Settings -> Apple ID -> Password & Security -> Add Security Keys.
- 3. Support for HomePod 2 the new smart speaker unveiled by Apple a couple of days ago..
- 4. Emergency SOS calls now require the user to hold Side button + Volume Up/Down button before releasing to prevent inadvertent emergency calls.
Fact: Call with Hold and Release, Call with 5 Button Presses and more wording changes noticeable in the screenshot comparison posted nearby.
Other iOS 16.3 Changes
How to: Available in Home -> HomePod -> New Alarm -> Play Media.
iOS 16.3 Bugs Fixed
The release notes also mentions a series of problems that have been addressed:
- 1. Freeform bug that prevents drawing strokes created with Apple Pencil or your finger from appearing on shared boards has been fixed!
- 2. Black Lock Screen wallpaper bug has been addressed! We’ve covered this problem here!
- 3. Horizontal lines on iPhone 14 Pro Max with LG display has been fixed! We’ve covered this issue here.
- 4. Home Lock Screen widget doesn’t display the accurate Home app status, has been solved.
- 5. Siri not responding properly to music requests has been fixed.
- 6. Siri requests in CarPlay not working properly has been also taken care of.
Besides the above fixes, Apple might have covered other problems without mentioning them in the update log. Below you havea list with bugs that have been reported in the previous beta. Help us determine if the problems are still present in this Release Candidate version:
- 1. Fitness app lag has been addressed as well as incorrect Activity Rings have been fixed. Confirmed by SixOnTheFirstBall.
- 2. AirPods Case 0 battery bug has been fixed too!
- 3. Battery life improved after iOS 16.3 update.
- 4. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments.)
Fact: Apple hasn’t published any Developer release notes for iOS 16.3. You can look for them here.
iOS 16.3 Download
- This update is now available, over-the-air in Settings -> General -> Software Update on iPhone 8 or later models.
- Tap Download and Install and be patient until the new software is requested, download, prepared, verified and installed on your iPhone!
Fact: iPhone automatically reboots when the process completes. Input your passcode an enjoy iOS 16.3!
Have you installed 16.3 on iPhone? Did you notice any other changes and fixes not mentioned in this article? What about new bugs? Use the comments!
Related: Apple has also released iPadOS 16.3 (20D47), macOS Ventura 13.2 (22D49), watchOS 9.3 (20S648), tvOS 16.3 (20K650) and HomePod 16.3.