Last updated on October 28th, 2022 at 05:47 pmPosted in Errors and Issues, Bug Fixes by Mike on October 27, 2022
Camera not closing on iPhone after updating to iOS 16.2 beta? You’re unable to dismiss the Camera when the app is opened from the Lock Screen shortcut? Swipe-up from the bottom of the screen isn’t recognized? White bar missing?
Camera Cannot Be Closed iOS 16.2 Bug?
This problem has been reported by Axel:
“Unable to close camera app if opened from Lock Screen. works normally but can’t be closed. No problem when opened from home screen. Please report!”
We can easily replicate it too and it seems to be a wide spread issue. Found plenty confirmations on Reddit too.
How To Fix Camera Not Closing In iOS 16.2
This bug has to be fixed by Apple in the upcoming beta. Until then you can use the following workarounds:
1. Close With Side Button
- Use the Side Button to lock the iPhone. This will also close the Camera app.
- Click it for a second time to wake the device.
- Swipe for the Home Screen and you’re good to go.
2. Open Photos from Camera
- Tap the most recent photo thumbnail available in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- In the Photos app tap on All Photos, top-right corner, to enter Library.
- Swipe-up from the bottom of the screen and you’ll end up on the Home Screen.
Thanks Joshua for this workaround!
3. Open From Home Screen
- Next time open Camera from the Home Screen or by commanding Siri.
- The white bar should be available at the bottom of the screen, signaling that swipe-up to close works.
3. Downgrade To iOS 16.1
If this bug is too much for you and you don’t like the way iOS 16.2 currently performs you also have the option to downgrade to iOS 16.1.
For a step-by-step guide please check out this article.
Tip: If you don’t have a backup saved in iOS 16.1 you can create one before downgrading and use this trick to make it compatible.
Have you managed to fix the Camera cannot be closed issue? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: For more iOS 16.2 beta problems and their workarounds please check our extended review.