HomePod 16.2 Update: Features, Issues, Bugs Fixed [Review]
Last updated on December 16th, 2022 at 02:28 pmPosted in News by Mike on December 13, 2022
Apple has seeded HomePod 16.2 for HomePod mini and the original intelligent Bluetooth speaker! Update includes new features, improvements, bug and security fixes! Also, take a look at the ongoing issues and new problems reported by users!
HomePod 16.2 Features
The release notes inform about general performance and stability improvements. However, we can clearly spot a new Home architecture update available:
- 1. New Home Architecture comes as a secondary update, that can be installed only after HomePod (Home hub) updates to OS 16.2
- 2. HomePod sound louder and more clearer mid-range after this update (Lossless songs especially). Reported by HollandJim.
- 3. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
HomePod 16.2 Issues
Before you update, find out the unsolved problems, as well as new bugs reported for this version:
- 1. Home architecture won’t update. Error informs that HomePod isn’t updated to 16.2 although it clearly is. Reported by Reddit user.
Fix: Restart HomePod.
- 2. Unable to rejoin Home after updating Home app architecture. App falsley informs that devices need to be updated although they’re already updated. Invite has ‘pending invitation’ status. Reported by Zekro.
Fix: Add the missing users on Apple TV as suggested by Finally Worked.
- 3. Apple Music playback briefly stops when playing a song in a loop and the track loops back to the start. Reported by Bella24.
Fix: Some workarounds are provided here.
- 4. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
HomePod 16.2 Bugs Fixed
Problems addressed in this release are mentioned here:
- To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
HomePod 16.2 Update
- 1. This update is available, over-the-air in the Home app on iPhone, iPad or Mac.
- 2. Go for Home Settings -> Software Updates.
- 3. Tap Update All or Update to download and install this latest version.
Tip: Be patient until the update is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and applied! HomePod is unavailable during installation and will auto reboot when the upgrade ends.
Have you updated HomePod to OS 16.2? Do you notice other changes not mentioned in this article? What about bugs fixed or new problems? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Apple has also seeded iOS 16.2 (20C65), iPadOS 16.2 (20C65), macOS Ventura 13.1 (22C65), watchOS 9.2 (20S361) and tvOS 16.2 (20K362).
Apple Music playback briefly stops and resume when listening to a song in a loop. The pause happens when the track has to start from the beginning. Is this a known issue?
Thanks for reporting. Yes, this seems to be a common issue after the 16.2 update. Here is an article about it:
Pertaining to HomePod Issue #2 Above “Unable to Rejoin Home” – I had the same problem with 2 of my family members (one adult, one child) after updating to 16.2. I tried everything to fix it without success. Finally I checked our Apple TVs and noticed those same two family members were also removed from the list of Users. When I added them back to the Apple TV accounts, they eventually re-appeared on the Home, too (it took a few minutes). We have several homepods and 4 Apple TVs, so I made sure all the user information matched on all devices. Not sure if this is actually a ‘fix’ for the problem, but it seemed to work for me… finally.
Thanks for your detailed feedback and for sharing this troubleshooting option. We’re adding it in the main content of this article.
I restarted the home pod via the option were you can remove it in the home app and that solved it for me.
Great! Thanks for sharing.
After update to 16.2 HomePod mini no longer connects to Danalock via Bluetooth. Doesn’t seem like Bluetooth is working at all.
Thanks for reporting. Have you tried to restart your HomePod?
Same problem here. My Danalock V3 has been working great with a Homepod mini close by, for over a year. But after the 16.2 update, it doesn’t connect anymore. I have tried restarting homepod and replacing with another homepod (both running 16.2), but still no luck. However, the Danalock V3 does connect to my iPhone, when it’s close by.
Thanks for reporting. Have you tried setting up your home from scratch?
I have not. However, I signed up for the 16.3 beta and installed that on my homepod. And now bluetooth works again and everything is back to normal! :)
Great. Thanks for the follow up!
Home upgrade available not showing anymore in updates? I saw it a couple of days ago but I did not have all devices to the latest OS and couldn’t move on. now the update itself is gone!!!
Thanks for reporting. Apple has apparently pulled it. Here is more info:
Having trouble with homekit cameras. live view keeps loading without actually loading!
Thanks for reporting. Have you also updated to the new home architecture before it was pulled? You should be able to fix it by applying these tips: