On the other side, if you’re worried about privacy, you might want to opt out. However, I you can also just try it out, because there is an option to disable and delete the timeline. In the past few weeks we got numerous mails from users that are encountering problems with properly enabling this Timeline feature on Google Maps for iOS. Continue reading and you’ll get a step-by-step configuration tutorial. Use it even if you only want to check if the feature is disabled on your smartphone.
How Configure Google Maps Timeline Feature On iPhone
Before we start, make sure that your iOS device is running the latest version of the app. Check this direct App Store link and update if needed.
A. Enable Location Services on iPhone
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select Privacy.
3. Tap on Location Services and make sure that the service is turned on.
B. Google Maps Requires Permanent Location Access
1. Open Google Maps and tap your Profile icon, available in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the search bar.
2. Select “Your Timeline”.
3. Tap the More icon (the three dots icon available in the top right corner of the screen) and select Settings.
4. In the Location settings area tap on the “Location Services is not set to always”. This will redirect you to the iOS Settings app.
5. Tap on Location and select Always.
Fact: Google explains that granting permanent location access to the app will also make sure that you get real-time traffic updates and reminders to leave so that you can make it on time.
6. Tap the Back-arrow and Google Maps text, in the top-left corner of the screen to return to the app.
Fact: If the Location Services are confirmed on and you are notified that the “location of this device” is shown in your timeline. You’re good to go. To disable the feature, perform the same steps.
C. Enable Location History
To allow Google Maps to create a timeline, you also need to turn on the Location History feature.
1. In the same settings menu that you visited above tap on “Location History is off”.
2. Use the knob next to the Location History option to un-pause.
Important: Do note, that by enabling this feature you allow Goolge Maps to save the places that you visit, even’t when you aren’t using a specific Google service. This will allow the app to provide you with personalized maps and recommendations based on the places that you’ve already visited.
3. Select Turn ON (bottom-right corner) to confirm that you want to enable Location History.
4. Tap the “X” (top-left corner of the screen) to return to the Google Maps settings.
How To Delete Google Maps Timeline
If you reconsider and don’t want to share with Google the places that you’ve visited anymore you can return to the same Google Maps settings menu listed above.
1. In the Location settings area you have the “Delete all Location History” option.
2. Tap it and you are prompted with a message that informs you that your location data will be permanently deleted from your Google Account and neither you or Google can access it again.
3. Select “I understand and want to delete.”.
4. Tap Delete.
5. Tap “Finished” to return to Google Maps.
Are you planning to use the Google Maps Timeline feature? Let us know in the comments section available below.
Related: Do you know that you can easily find electric vehicle charging stations with Google Maps on your iPhone?