How To Enable / Disable Google Maps Timeline On Your iPhone
On the other side, if you’re worried about privacy, you might want to opt out. However, I you can also just try it out, because there is an option to disable and delete the timeline. In the past few weeks we got numerous mails from users that are encountering problems with properly enabling this Timeline feature on Google Maps for iOS. Continue reading and you’ll get a step-by-step configuration tutorial. Use it even if you only want to check if the feature is disabled on your smartphone.
How Configure Google Maps Timeline Feature On iPhone
Before we start, make sure that your iOS device is running the latest version of the app. Check this direct App Store link and update if needed.
A. Enable Location Services on iPhone
1. Open the Settings app.
2. Select Privacy.
3. Tap on Location Services and make sure that the service is turned on.
B. Google Maps Requires Permanent Location Access
1. Open Google Maps and tap your Profile icon, available in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the search bar.
2. Select “Your Timeline”.
3. Tap the More icon (the three dots icon available in the top right corner of the screen) and select Settings.
4. In the Location settings area tap on the “Location Services is not set to always”. This will redirect you to the iOS Settings app.
5. Tap on Location and select Always.
Fact: Google explains that granting permanent location access to the app will also make sure that you get real-time traffic updates and reminders to leave so that you can make it on time.
6. Tap the Back-arrow and Google Maps text, in the top-left corner of the screen to return to the app.
Fact: If the Location Services are confirmed on and you are notified that the “location of this device” is shown in your timeline. You’re good to go. To disable the feature, perform the same steps.
C. Enable Location History
To allow Google Maps to create a timeline, you also need to turn on the Location History feature.
1. In the same settings menu that you visited above tap on “Location History is off”.
2. Use the knob next to the Location History option to un-pause.
Important: Do note, that by enabling this feature you allow Goolge Maps to save the places that you visit, even’t when you aren’t using a specific Google service. This will allow the app to provide you with personalized maps and recommendations based on the places that you’ve already visited.
3. Select Turn ON (bottom-right corner) to confirm that you want to enable Location History.
4. Tap the “X” (top-left corner of the screen) to return to the Google Maps settings.
How To Delete Google Maps Timeline
If you reconsider and don’t want to share with Google the places that you’ve visited anymore you can return to the same Google Maps settings menu listed above.
1. In the Location settings area you have the “Delete all Location History” option.
2. Tap it and you are prompted with a message that informs you that your location data will be permanently deleted from your Google Account and neither you or Google can access it again.
3. Select “I understand and want to delete.”.
4. Tap Delete.
5. Tap “Finished” to return to Google Maps.
Are you planning to use the Google Maps Timeline feature? Let us know in the comments section available below.
Related: Do you know that you can easily find electric vehicle charging stations with Google Maps on your iPhone?
:All my settings are, and were, exactly as you have directed, but I am not getting any timeline history. I use it for my work and it was so convenient. Help feel free to email me if you can
Hi Suzanne. Thanks for your feedback. I assume that you have the Location Services enabled all the time on your iPhone and that you’re opening Maps -> Profile Icon -> Your Timeline to view the history of the places that you’ve visited? What happens when you open it? Are you selecting the proper date? Please provide more details of what you’re getting on the Your Timeline screen. Also please mention your device and the iOS version that it runs.
There is a further step to Enable Location History in point C.
Go to the Google Maps App > tap your Profile icon (in the top-right corner of the screen) > select ‘Your Timeline’ > tap the More icon (the three dots icon available in the top right corner of the screen) > tap ‘Settings’ > tap ‘Location History is on / off’ (enable location history if it is off) > tap the drop-down menu ‘Devices on this account’ > ensure that the box is checked next to ‘This device’.
In my case my device (“this device”) was not checked. Hope that helps!
Shakey, thanks for your contribution. We will update the article asap.
This is it !! thanks Shakey – been trying to get this to work for days, today I succeeded because of your advice – many thanks again
Johnny thanks for confirming.
Thanks a lot. It has bugged me for years that I could not enable it.
Glad we could help.
Refer comments by Suanne on Sept 9, 2021 and
by Shakey on Oct 16,2020
I did exactly as per guidelines and and also additional guideline by Mr. Shake.
My iPhone is iPhone X
Software ver. 14.7.1
Google Maps for iOS version is 5.79
My location history is not recording with the above iPhone is checked in as the “Device”.
Earlier location history used to be recorded normally when Android Phone is checked in as the “Device “ for location history.
Both the phones used same google account.
If it possible please mail me the suggestions.
Siva, thanks for your feedback. Not sure what else to suggest. I am curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue in iOS 15 too?
Don’t want to suggest that you should update just because of this. I can’t replicate it in iOS 15 and all my devices have been update to iOS 15.
Patricia, Thanks for your reply.
Can anybody confirm that time line in google maps is working in iPhone X with version 14.7.1.
Google maps version 5.7.9.
I tried a lot with this combination.
But it is not working.