You’ve just unboxed your brand new iPhone 12 Pro Max device, powered it on and noticed that the screen is much dimmer than your older iPhone? Don’t worry, the iPhone 12 dark screen problem can be fixed by tweaking some iOS 14 settings.
3 Ways To Fix iPhone 12 Screen Too Dim
This issue has been reported to us for occurring since day 1 on an iPhone 12 Pro Max unit. However, it could also happen on any other new model iPhone 12 mini, 12 or 12 Pro. Here is what you can do to fix it:
1. Adjust Brightness
The natural thing to start with is to manually adjust brightness. Swipe-down from the top-right corner of the screen to bring down the Control Center and use the Brightness toggle.
Tip: Long-press the Brightness controls to open up the expanded view. Use your finger to increase Brightness. Also make sure that Dark Mode and Night Shift aren’t enabled.
Fact: If you set Brightness to maximum and your iPhone 12 isn’t as bright as your previous iPhone, proceed with the next step.
2. Auto Brightness
Your next option is to make sure that Brightness on your iPhone is set to automatic. Even if it is, you can disable and re-enable this setting to make sure that a minor glitch is preventing it from working properly:
- Open the Settings app.
- Scroll for Display & Brightness.
- Check the status of the Automatic setting. If it’s enabled disable it, force restart your device and re-enable it after the iPhone reboots.
3. Reduce White Point
- Open Settings.
- Scroll for Accessibility.
- Tap on Display & Text Size, in the Vision section.
- Scroll for Reduce White Point and disable the option.
Tip: You can also use the control bar to set how strong the intensity of the strong colors is reduced.
Fact: We’re still waiting for confirmations, but apparently and iOS 14 bug, could automatically trigger the Reduce White Point setting, without the user being aware of it. If you’ve also experienced this problem and your brand new iPhone 12 or 12 Pro model don’t hesitate to use the comments section and share your feedback.
Updated (November 28)
iPhone 12 Low Brightness Cause?
Apparently the Automatic Brightness setting could in fact be the trigger of the iPhone 12 low brightness issue! As noticed by reader Gustavo the screen of the new iPhone displays less bright when Automatic Brightness is ON and the same level of brightness is set. Below is a quote from his comment:
“I have an iPhone 12 pro max with this behavior :
– Screen brightness set at 100% with Auto Brightness ‘ON’ and then turn AB ‘OFF’ the screen at exactly same 100% is much brighter!
– Screen AB on at 100% in darker room is less brighter than screen at 100% with AB on in bright room!
If I test exactly the same way with other values in the brightness screen like ( 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%), the same happens!”
Can you replicate the same issue, is this the cause for the dimmed screen issue on your iPhone 12? Use the comments section to share your feedback!
We’re trying to find out if the dimmed screen problem is caused by a bug that automatically enables Reduce White Point in iOS 14, or a bug that is triggered by the Automatic brightness setting. Either way the situation has been reported to Apple and this article has been attached to the report.
Related: Other day-1 problems reported for the iPhone 12 lineup are:
– iPhone 12 Pro Max not charging wirelessly with MagSafe
– iPhone 12 mini Lock Screen issues
– iPhone 12 No Service and poor cellular coverage
– iPhone 12 yellow screen problem