Alongside iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8 and macOS Monterey public test versions, Apple has also released the first tvOS 15 Public Beta. If you own a compatible Apple TV model you can download and install it from the Settings app, as soon as you sign up for beta testing on Apple’s Beta Software Program.
Important: Before you proceed, please note that unlike iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey once you update your Apple TV 4K to tvOS 15 Public Beta you won’t be able to revert and have to ride the test versions until the public release!
tvOS 15 Compatible Devices
Before you consider updating to the tvOS 15 Public Beta, please make sure that your hardware is compatible with this software update.
There are three Apple TV sets that support tvOS 15:
- Apple TV 4K (2021 and later)
- Apple TV 4K (2017 and later)
- Apple TV HD
How To Install tvOS 15 Public Beta On Apple TV
- On Mac or iPhone open Safari or any other web browser and navigate to the Apple Beta Software Program website.
- Sign-in or Sign up with your Apple ID.
Browse for the tvOS beta tab and scroll down to the Get Started section.
- Enroll your Apple TV.
- Next, open the Settings app on your Apple TV and select System -> Software Update.
- Enable the Get Public Beta Updates option.
- Restart your Apple TV and the tvOS 15 Public Beta becomes available in system settings.
- Go for System -> Software Update -> Update Software -> Download and Install.
tvOS 15 Features
Unlike iOS and macOS updates the tvOS updates are smaller in scale and changes are less spectacular. Nevertheless, tvOS 15 comes with a few notable features including:
- SharePlay – is a new FaceTime option that’s included in iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and macOS Monterey. It lets participants of a group video call to watch TV shows and movies together and is coming to the Apple TV too in tvOS 15. A ‘For all of You’ proactive recommendation option is able to suggest shows that might interest all participants of the conversation.
- Shared With You – is a new feature that displays media that was shared with you by contacts trough the Messages app, remembering you to take a look at them.
- Spatial Audio – is available in tvOS 15 when the Apple TV is paired with an AirPods Pro or AirPods Max headset.
- Smart AirPods routing is a new function that automatically connects AirPods to an Apple TV set.
- HomePod mini stereo sound is now available. In tvOS 15 you can pair two HomePod mini speakers with an Apple TV 4K to obtain stereo audio playback.
- Multiple Cameras – In tvOS 15 if you own multiple HomeKit compatible cameras you are able to display them all at the same time on your Apple TV.
tvOS 15 is scheduled to be released this fall! Do you plan to update to the Public Beta or are you planning to wait for the official release. Have you found other new features? Do you have questions? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: You might be also interested in how to update Mac to macOS Monterey Public Beta!