How To WhatsApp Group Video Call With Up To 8 Contacts
Fortunately, WhatsApp just upgraded its group video calling feature and it can now host up to 8 participants. This will surly make the app more appealing to its 2 billion worldwide users. Most likely, this huge number of members is one of the main reasons that forces Facebook to keep the video call group size low. You can easily imagine what could happen to WhatsApp’s servers when millions of people decide to video call in the same time.
2 Ways To Dial A WhatsApp Group Video Call With 8 Participants
Important: Before we start please make sure that all group video call participants have upgraded to WhatsApp version 2.20.50 or later. Else, the old four people video call limit will still apply!
A. From the Group Chat Room
If you already have a group chat room with the contacts that you intend to video call, things are very simple.
1. Open WhatsApp and make sure that you’re exploring the Chats tab.
2. Tap the Chat icon available in the navigation menu displayed at the bottom of the screen.
3. Select the chat room with the desired conversation partners.
4. Tap the Video Call icon available in the top-right corner of the screen.
Tip: If you tap the Phone Call icon you will be starting an audio group call.
5. If the chat room has eight or less participants, the call will be initiated immediately. Else, you’ll be prompted with a list of the members and you can cherry-pick up to 8 (including yourself) group call participants.
B. From the New Call Section
The second option allows you to create a WhatsApp group video call with up to 8 entries from your contacts list.
1. Open WhatsApp and switch for the Calls tab available in the bottom menu.
2. Tap the New Call option, available in the top-right corner of the screen.
3. Select the New Group Call feature.
4. Add up to 7 participants. Just cherry-pick them from your contacts list by tapping on their names.
Tip: You can use the Search option to save time.
5. After you finish selecting your conversation partners tap the Video Call icon (camera) or the Audio Call button (phone icon). Both are available in the top-right corner of the screen, next to the names of the selected group call members.
Troubleshoot: If one or more of the selected participants haven’t updated to the latest WhatsApp version the call won’t connected and you’ll be notified. You can either wait for them until they update or remove them from the group and initiate the call again.
Fact: Cross-platform social messaging apps have recently recorded spikes in their user numbers, because of the worldwide stay-at-home measures to fight the COVID-19 pandemic. Apps like WhatsApp, Zoom and Skype might not provide the same service quality as Apple’s stock FaceTime feature, but they hold a big advantage. The can connect iOS users with Android users, Windows users and more. FaceTime is currently only available for people owning an iPhone, iPad, Mac or Apple TV.
What’s your favorite video calling app and why? Let us know in the comments section available below!
Related: Do you want a bit of Privacy? Check out how you can hide your Last Seen status from your WhatsApp profile!