Is iMovie not opening on Mac after macOS Monterey update? Are you having problems when trying to open projects in the iMovie library? Is the app stuck on ‘Loading’ displaying the spinning beach ball?
iMovie Not Working In macOS Monterey
“After an update to iMovie on 10/19 (I had not installed Monterey at that point), I was no longer able to open the program. In the meantime, I am unable to use iMovie or access any of my numerous videos. I have installed Monterey now (as told to do so by Apple advisor) and that did not correct the problem either.”
We couldn’t replicate it on our own devices, but found similar reports on Apple’s Discussion Forums:
“iMovie does not work if you upgrade to Monterey. Be forewarned! I opened a ticket and it is a known problem. Ugh! Must wait for new update either Monterey or iMovie app.”
How To Fix iMovie Not Opening On Mac
Until Apple releases a fix via a software update you can apply the following troubleshooting steps:
1. Restart Mac
How to: I recommend you to force restart your computer by simultaneously pressing & holding cmd (command) + ctrl (Control) keys along with the Power button until the screen goes blank and the Mac restarts.
2. Be Patient
iMovie stuck on validating iMovie library? Be patient. It can last from 10 minutes to several hours depending on the length of the video but ultimately it will validate. Don’t Force Quit!
Tip: Until this bug is fixed you can export your project as a file and work on it on another Mac, that hasn’t been updated to Monterey yet.
3. Reinstall iMovie
- Open Finder and search for iMovie.
- Right-click on the name and go for Move to Trash.
- Right-click on the Trash icon and go for Empty Trash.
- Open Mac App Store, search for iMovie and reinstall the app, or click this direct link.
Have you managed to fix iMovie not loading on Mac? Do you have a better solution? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Check out fixes for other common macOS Monterey problems:
– AirPods cutting audio / disconnecting from Mac.
– USB hubs not working in macOS 12.0.1.
– Screensaver displays black screen instead of photos selected from your folder or album.
– System has run out of application memory error!
– Mouse cursor gets stuck unexpectedly.