iOS 10.2 Dev Beta 1 brings a series of new features which include a new Videos app widget, the Preserve Camera Mode setting, three new wallpapers, new Emoji, new Messages effect and more.
That’s not all because the Apple Watch has also received a fresh test version, labeled watchOS 3.1.1. Other Apple smart devices like Apple TV and Macbooks can also test fresh betas for tvOS 10.1, and macOS 10.12.2.
How To Install iOS 10.2 Beta On iPhone
If you’re an Apple power user you surly tested the previous iOS 10 betas too, which means that you already have the Beta Profile installed on your device. In this case simply open Settings from the iPhone’s Home Screen, browse for General and tap on Software Update.
Next, allow your iPhone to find the new firmware. Tap Download and Install when ready, sit back and allow your smartphone to download and install the beta. The device will automatically reboot when ready. Enter Passcode when prompted and start testing.
2. Download Beta Profile
If you don’t have the test profile on your iPhone you won’t find any new update when inquiring for a Software Update as instructed above. In this case you need an Apple Developer account to grab the profile. You can sign up for one anytime, but be ready to spend $99/year for an active membership. Once you download the profile, proceed with the steps described at point 1 to be able to download the iOS 10 Dev Beta 1 over-the-air.
Trick: If you’re not ready to pay the Apple Developer fee, but still want to grab iOS 10.2 Beta you can do so by downloading the iOS 10 Beta Profile from a third party website. Note, that although we test out these sources, the file provenience isn’t an official Apple source. This brings a series of risks, that you have to be aware of. If you’re ready to take a change download iOS 10 Beta profile from this unofficial source.
iOS 10.2 Dev Beta 1 Update Log
Get ready for downloading a 1.7 – 2 GB large update package, depending on what iPhone model you own. This beta as well as any other iOS 10 iteration is available to iPhone 5 models and later.
The change log reads: “This beta version of iOS 10.2 contains bug fixes and improvements.”
Apple also recommends that you install this test version only on a device designed for iOS 10.2 beta software development, simply because your iPhone or iPad could become unstable and present a series of glitches during the testing process. The update itself is risky and we always recommend users to perform a full iPhone backup, before proceeding.
iOS 10.2 Beta 1 Features
Although the change log mentions the general bug fixes and improvements, there are a series of changes that are worth mentioning:
– Videos Widget: the built-in Videos app has received a glance, to add to the new iOS 10 widgets. The shortcut panel looks like it’s currently added just for display, because the functionality is missing. No video is suggested.
– Camera Mode: option added to the Camera Settings. It allows you to preserve the selections that you last used when dealing with the stock Camera app. For example, you can set it to remind that you last used the Camera to record a video. Next, time when the application is opened the default shooting mode will be video, instead of the usual Photo.
– New Wallpapers: three new wallpapers that display a gemstone, in three different colors, on a black background, have been added. They are only present on the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices! So, if you’re not among the ones that use the newest iPhone generation you can download the wallpapers via the images uploaded below.
– New Emojis are also available packed along Unicode 9.0.
– 6th Full-Screen Messages Effect has been added. It’s called Celebration and is similar with Fireworks animation. Send iMessages with golden sparks whenever you want to impress someone.
– Press and Hold to Speak tweak menu has been added to Settings, under General -> Accessibility -> Home Button.
– Show Star Ratings feature has been added for Music Settings, which allows you to access star ratings for songs, from the action sheets.
– Headphone icon for Bluetooth audio devices has been added to the status bar whenever connectivity is present.