Last updated on November 30th, 2020 at 09:41 am
Are apps unexpectedly crashing on your iPhone in iOS 14.2? This is a common occurrence and many apps seem to be affected. In fact, probably any application on your device might randomly close because this looks like an iOS generated bug and not an issue caused by the app itself.
The iOS 14.2 app crashing bug is suddenly closing the app that you’re using, bringing up the Home Screen instead. This happens for both stock and third-party apps. In fact, the app isn’t actually crashing, but more like self-closing. Because as soon as you open it back you can pick up from where you left off. The app isn’t force closed. It remains active in the background and available in the App Switcher.
How To Fix iOS 14.2 App Crashing Bug
We’ve noticed that the bug can be temporarily fixed by force closing the app or rebooting you iPhone or iPad. A permanent fix isn’t available at the moment and we most likely need a software update from Apple with an official solution.
1. Force Close App
As mentioned above, you can easily open the app back and resume with what you’ve been doing. However, if the app starts to automatically close too often, it can become annoying. In this case we suggest you save your edits, force quit the software and start fresh.
How To: Half-swipe-up from the bottom of the screen to bring up the App Switcher. Dismiss the card of the app in question to force close it. Return to the Home Screen or in the App Library and re-open the application.
2. Force Restart iPhone
The next step is to reboot your iOS device. Quickly press & release in succession: Volume Up, Volume Down and press & hold the Side Button until the Apple logo is displayed on the screen. Be patient until your device restarts.
Fact: Unfortunately, both options will only temporarily fix the iOS 14.2 app crashing bug.
3. Update To iOS 14.2.1
We’ve experienced this bug occurring on iPhone 12, 11 and XS devices. Apple has recently released iOS 14.2.1 with some important bug fixes, but the update is only available for iPhone 12, 12 mini, 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max models. We haven’t experienced this bug since updating an iPhone 12 Pro to iOS 14.2.1. However, it’s too early for a final conclusion.
Updated (November 30)
4. Offload App
- Open Settings on your iPhone or iPad.
- Browse for General -> iPhone Storage.
- Scroll for the app that’s unexpectedly closing and tap on its name.
- Use the Offload App option. Tap Offload App again
Fact: This will remove the app from your device, but save its documents and data.
- Reinstall the app and the data will be recovered. Does this help?
Credits: This fix has been provided by our reader Rich W., in the comments section.
Is your iPhone also experiencing the iOS 14.2 apps crashing problem? Use the comments section and share your feedback. Do mention your device model and the iOS version. Did you find a better fix? Don’t hesitate to mention it.
Related: Other common bugs reported for iOS 14.2 are:
– Messages notifications bug that randomly prevents notifications for iMessages and regular SMS from getting triggered.
– iPhone keyboard lag when attempting to type Messages.
– Optimized battery charging for iPhone is automatically re-enabled after each iPhone restart or new charging cycle.
– Incoming call banner disappears and isn’t interactive. iPhone user can’t answer a call from the banner.
– iPhone speakerphone not working as it should, volume too low!