Last updated on November 24th, 2020 at 12:08 am
iOS 14.2 and iPadOS 14.2 (build number 18B92) have been released to the general public! This is the 2nd major software update for iPhone and iPad after the initial release of iOS 14 and iOS 14.1!
iOS 14.2 brings a series of new features like over 100 new emoji, 8 new wallpapers, optimized battery charging for AirPods and other. But perhaps more than the new features, users are waiting for fixes for some of the common iOS 14 bugs. Apple mentions 15 fixes in the changelog including missing GPS data for Workouts, wireless charging problems, Exposure Notifications not working in certain situations and much more.
How To Update To iOS 14.2
Important: We recommend you to perform a full iPhone backup via iCloud or iTunes before installing a software update!
You can force a manual over-the-air update to iOS 14.2 right now by following these steps:
From iOS 14.1
1. Open Settings on iPhone or iPad.
2. Browse for General -> Software Update.
3. Tap on Download and Install.
4. Input Passcode, Agree with Apple’s Terms and be patient until iOS 14.2 is downloaded and prepared for installation.
5. Tap Install Now when it becomes available. Next, the update is verified and deployed on your device.
Tip: Swipe-up and configure your iPhone. Mention if you want to share Analytics with Apple and follow the on-screen prompts.
How Long Does It Take To Update To iOS 14.2
iOS 14.2 is a significant update. The file is around 1,4 GB large, varying a little depending on iPhone model.
We updated three iPhones to iOS 14.2 and the average duration was 37 minutes.
You can check the time of screenshots provided above that include all iOS 14.2 update stages.
An example shows a device started downloading at 10:36 am and the iOS 14.2 update process was completed by 11:13 am.
iOS 14.2 Update Duration Breakdown
- iOS 14.2 update file download time: 8 minutes
- Preparing Update… screen: 18 minutes
- Verifying update… prompt: 1 minute
- Apple logo screen: 10 minutes
Important: iPhone unusable during the last stage of the update, for about 11 minutes, as soon as you tap ‘Install Now’ and the ‘Verifying update…’ prompt is displayed on the screen!
- 1. Over 100 new emoji, including animals, food, faces, household objects, musical instruments, gender-inclusive emoji, and more.
- 2. Eight new wallpapers in both light and dark mode versions.
- 3. Magnifier can detect people nearby, and report their distance using the LiDAR sensor included in iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max.
- 4. Support for iPhone 12 Leather Sleeve with MagSafe.
- 5. Optimized battery charging for AirPods to slow the rate of battery aging by reducing the time your AirPods spends fully charged.
- 6. Headphone audio level notifications to alert you when audio level could impact your hearing.
- 7. New AirPlay controls to stream entertainment throughout your home.
- 8. Intercom support with HomePod and HomePod mini using iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, AirPods, and CarPlay.
- 9. Ability to connect HomePod to Apple TV 4K for stereo, surround sound, and Dolby Atmos audio.
- 10. Option to provide statistics about Exposure Notifications, without identifying you, to participating Public Health Authorities.
- 1. Apps could be out of order on the Home Screen dock (App Library Other category bug?).
- 2. Camera viewfinder may appear black when launched.
- 3. The keyboard on the Lock Screen could miss touches when trying to enter the passcode.
- 4. Reminders could default to times in the past.
- 5. Photos widget may not display content.
- 6. Weather widget could display the high temperature in Celsius when set to Fahrenheit.
- 7. Next-hour precipitation chart description in Weather could incorrectly indicate when precipitation stops.
- 8. Voice Memos recordings are interrupted by incoming calls.
- 9. The screen could be black during Netflix video playback.
- 10. Apple Cash could fail to send or receive money when asked via Siri.
- 11. Apple Watch app may unexpectedly close when opened.
- 12. Workout GPS routes or Health data are prevented from syncing between Apple Watch and iPhone for some users (Apple Watch workouts GPS data bug).
- 13. Audio is incorrectly labeled as “Not Playing” in the CarPlay Dashboard.
- 14. Devices could be prevented from charging wirelessly.
- 15. Exposure Notifications is disabled when restoring iPhone from iCloud Backup or transferring data to a new iPhone using iPhone Migration (Exposure Notifications missing on iPhone 12 & 12 Pro).
From iOS 13
If your device is still running the older iOS generation, updating to iOS 14.2 requires the same steps provided above. However, be prepared to download an almost 5 GB large update file. This means that the process will take a lot longer (up to 1 hour). The total update time is strongly impacted by the speed of your Wi-Fi connectivity.
Tips: To make sure that the update process occurs flawless you have to make sure that your iPhone’s battery percentage is over 50% and that the device is connected to a stable Wi-Fi hotspot!
Can I Update To iOS 14.2 Via Mobile Data?
Yes, if you own the iPhone 12 or iPhone 12 Pro and have access to a 5G network. You also have to enable iOS software updates via cellular data as shown in this guide.
Other iPhone owners have to stick with Wi-Fi as only option. Apple limits software update to Wi-Fi only. Most likely because of an agreement that the company has with carriers, to prevent congestion and service downtime, when lots of users start downloading large updates in the same time, in the same area!
iOS 14.2 Update Problems?
Do you encounter any problems like iPhone freezing on Preparing Update…, or the device gets stuck on Terms and Conditions? Please check a guide with the common troubleshooting options available here. If they don’t work, don’t hesitate to comment this article and ask for help!
iOS 14.2 New Features (10)
iOS 14.2 Bug Fixes (15)
Here are the problems fixed in iOS 14.2 as mentioned by Apple:
Bug Fixes Not Mentioned In iOS 14.2 Update Log
Often software updates include more fixes than the ones mentioned in the changelog. The iOS 14.2 beta versions have also included fixes for:
– Random Ringer and Alerts Mutting bug
– The list is open, does iOS 14.2 fix any other iOS 14 bug that was present on your device? Use the comments section and let us know.
Have you updated to iOS 14.2? What’s your feedback? Do you need any help? Use the comments section available below!
Related: watchOS 7.1, macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update with security fixes and HomePod 14.2 software are also available now!