Last updated on June 27th, 2022 at 02:20 amPosted in Errors and Issues by Patricia on December 4, 2021
Is cellular data not working after iOS 15.1 update? Is your iPhone not able to connect to the Internet when no Wi-Fi network is available? The 4G and 5G icons are shown in the status bar but Safari and other apps aren’t able to load web pages or exchange web data?
Cellular Data Not Working In iOS 15
“My mobile data isn’t working after installing the update 15.1 on iphone 12 pro max”
Jeni confirmed a similar mobile data issue:
“I updated my iPhone 11 last night to 15.1 and now I do not have the Enable LTE option so I can change from LTE to 5G.”
Steven reported it too:
“I have 12 pro max. since downloading ios15.1, I am unable to open some important apps when out of range from in home wifi connection! ie. Sirius xm, Verizon Fios tv, Waze. All say something to the affect that no internet connection.”
and L0ni is the most recent iPhoneTricks.org reader to complain about the iOS 15.1 cellular issues:
“I updated my iPhone XR to the new iOS 15.1, 2 days ago, and now most of my apps won’t work without Wi-Fi. Some web pages also won’t load using cellular data either. I have contacted Apple as well as T-Mobile with no luck.”
Although, we couldn’t replicate it at the time of writing, I’ve found similar reports on Reddit:
“I updated to iOS 15.1 today and shortly after my cellular service with T-Mobile completely stopped and it’s saying it needs an update. Has anyone else experienced this issue?”
Conclusion: The iOS 15.1 cellular issues seem to affect both new and old iPhone models, but not every device is impacted. This situation seems to be carrier-related. Most of the affected users seem to be T-Mobile customers, but we’ve seen reports involving Verizon also.
How To Fix Cellular Data Not Working On iPhone
At the time of writing we couldn’t find an universal fix for the iOS 15.1 mobile data problem.
Users have reported that the following troubleshooting options DON’T work:
- Force Restart – Click and release Volume Up, Volume Down followed by pressing & holding the Side button until the Apple logo is displayed on the screen.
- Reset Network Settings in Settings -> General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings
- Reinsert SIM card – Use the SIM ejector tool to open the SIM tray.
Here is what else you can try:
1. Update Carrier Settings
- Open Settings and browse for General -> About.
- Scroll and check if there is any update from your carrier.
- Install it if available.
- Reboot iPhone and test your cellular data connection once again. Does it work?
2. Reinstall iOS 15.1
This popup informs that ‘Your iPhone cannot make or receive calls or access cellular data until it has been updated’.
More, if you open the Cellular (Mobile Data) settings page you might be informed that ‘An update is required to use cellular data on this iPhone.’
- Connect iPhone to Mac or Windows computer using a Lightning to USB cable.
- Open Finder (on Mac) or iTunes (on Windows).
- If the ‘Trust this Computer’ popup is displayed, unlock your iOS device and tap on Trust.
- Select your iPhone by clicking on its name in the left sidebar.
- In Finder, click on General (in iTunes go for Summary).
- Press the Command key and click on Check for Update (On Windows press ctrl key and click on Check for Update).
- The most recent iOS version will be downloaded and installed on your iPhone. Don’t disconnect smartphone from computer until the process is completed.
Fact: After iPhone reboots try out the mobile data connection and check if the cellular issues have been fixed!
3. Update To iOS 15.2 Public Beta
If cellular data continues not to work and you get the iO 15.1 cellular update failed error, you can also update to iOS 15.2 Public Beta 4! (Do backup iPhone before trying this!)
We’re getting close to the iOS 15.2 beta testing phase and the current beta is quite stable. You can update and see if the upcoming iOS 15 release fixes these mobile data problems. If it does, don’t hesitate to confirm it in the comments section!
Have you managed to fix cellular data not working on iPhone? Did any of the tips mentioned above help? Do you have a better solution? Use the comments section to share your feedback.