Last updated on November 2nd, 2022 at 04:51 amPosted in News by Patricia on October 24, 2022
Apple has released iOS 16.1 build number 20B82. It’s the first major iteration to the 16th iOS generation and the fourth update after 16.0.1, 16.0.2 and 16.0.3. Check out all new features, bugs fixed, new issues and more!
iOS 16.1 Issues
Check out the problems listed below before updating to this new release. Available fixes or workarounds will be also updated:
- 1. Black Screen on Lock Screen. Not responding to taps. Reported by Steph and kok.
Workaround: Use Side Button or force restart iPhone.
- 2. Keyboard lag when using both built-in and third-party keyboards like Gboard. Reported by kok and Steph.
- 3. Cannot Verify AirPods error popping up for some users although wireless earbuds are genuine.
- 4. iPhone 14 sleeping in Control Center glitches out before entering Always On Display mode. Reported by Reddit user.
- 5. Next Alarm not showing in Lock Screen widget. Reported by James14.
Fix: remove and re-add widget.
- 6. Lock Screen Weather widget not working when Location Services are turned off.
Workaround: Not sure if this is a bug, but definitely an inconvenience. Use the Home Screen widget instead that works with selected location.
- 7. Carrier data not working after update for some iPhone 14 Pro Max user on AT&T. Reported by dsdxp.
- 8. Dynamic Island stutters when locking iPhone 14 Pro with Side Button and display transitions to AOD. Reported by Rode.
Fact: Not fixed since iOS 16.0.
- 9. WiFi keeps disconnecting after iOS 16.1 update. Reported by Gaedupe (iPhone 13 Pro Max) and many more.
Fix: This issue has been reported since the early beta version. Here is a potential fix!
- 10. Siri can’t open Apple Maps when iPhone is connected to CarPlay. Reported by Ivan.
- 11. Face ID stops working after iOS 16.1 update for some users. Resetting doesn’t work it’s stuck at the “lower your iPhone / raise your iPhone” stage. Reported by Megan.
Fix: N/A more details here.
- 12. Live Activities not showing up on Lock Screen or Dynamic Island. Reported by Lucas.
Fix: Most of the time you have to turn ON app specific Live Activities in settings as shown here.
- 13. WiFi not connecting at all. Screen freezes when Wi-Fi settings are opened. Reported by Marisa (iPhone 13 Pro).
Fact: this is an isolated case, so far.
- 14. iPhone self-rebooting every 15-20 minutes. Reported by Marisa (iPhone 13 Pro).
Fact: It’s an isolated case at the moment.
- 15. Black wallpaper bug: current Home and Lock Screen wallpapers are unexpectedly replaced by a plain black background. Issue occurs most often when older photos are used as wallpaper. Reported by Mattie.
Temporary Fix: Reboot iPhone | Change wallpaper| More fixes here.
- 16. iPhone not ringing and not vibrating occasionally. Reported by Lucy (iPhone 14 Pro Max) and Hope (iPhone 11).
- 17. iPhone freezing randomly after iOS 16.1 update. Reported by schneexx (iPhone 13)
- 18. iPhone self-rebooting after iOS 16.1 update. Reported by Astan (iPhone X).
- 19. iPhone charging very slow even when using fast charger. Reported by Mohamad (iPhone XR).
Fix: Try the suggestions posted here.
- 20. Phone badge missing number only a red dot is displayed without the count. Reported by Lou (iPhone 8).
Fix: This seems to be a Voicemail issue. Read more here.
- 21. Apps crashing after a couple of minutes since iOS 16.1 has been installed for Lonnie.
- 22. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Tip: For more known issues you can also check Apple’s iOS 16.1 Developer release notes.
iOS 16.1 Features
- iCloud Shared Photo Library
- Live Activities on Lock Screen and Dynamic Island
- Apple Fitness+ without Apple Watch
- Wallet App: Apple Card Savings Account (delayed!) an Key Sharing.
- Matter in Home
- Clean Energy Charging
- Books improvements
- Continuity Camera for iPhone with macOS Ventura.
More: We’ve covered all these as well as a couple more iOS 16.1 new features in this extended review!
iOS 16.1 Problems Fixed
The release notes mention three bugs that have been addressed by this update:
- 0. Touch screen issues for iPhones with aftermarket screen replacement have been FIXED!. Confirmed by Diego, Alan and others.
- 1. Deleted texts might continue to appear in the conversation list in Messages.
- 2. Dynamic Island content not available in Reachability view.
- 3. CarPlay not connecting when using a VPN app.
- 4. Live Activities not available in the Apple TV app. (Status: -)
- 5. Volume can’t be adjusted during a call, when the iPhone is next to your ear. (Status: Not fixed!)
- 6. Swipe Up Home Animation stutters when trying to return to Home screen. (Status: Mixed Reports)
- 7. Dynamic Island stutters when locking iPhone 14 Pro with Side Button and display transitions to AOD. (Status: Not Fixed)
- 8. Keyboard not showing up when swiping for Spotlight Search. This glitch has been reported in previous iOS 16 versions too. (Status: Fixed)
- 9. Excessive battery drain has been fixed in this release.
- Touch Screen issues for older iPhone models with screen replacement appear to be fixed.
However, we expect other issues to be fixed without being highlighted. We’ll test them out and let you know. Below you have a list of bugs reported in the iOS 16.1 RC version:
Fact: This update also includes a significant amount of security fixes. You can check them all in Apple’s security document.
iOS 16.1 Download
- This update is available, as usual, over-the-air in Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install and be patient until this release is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed on your device.
- iOS 16.1 stuck on Update Requested – this happens because Apple has also released macOS Ventura in the same time and the servers might be overloaded.
Fix: Go for Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> iOS 16.1 -> Delete Update and restart the process.
- Softare Update failed an error occurred downloading iOS 16.1? This might happen if you don’t have enough storage space available. More details here.
Fix: Free up more space in Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage.
- Unable to Check for Update iOS 16.1 – This happens when your device is running an beta version and you’ve deleted the iOS 16 Beta Profile. More details here.
Have you installed iOS 16.1 on your iPhone? What’s your feedback? Spotted any changes not mentioned in this article? What about new bugs? Share your feedback in the comments!