iOS 16.1 RC Problems, Features, Bugs Fixed, Improvements
Last updated on October 20th, 2022 at 06:04 amPosted in News by Patricia on October 18, 2022
Apple has released iOS 16.1 RC build number 20B79. This is the final beta update before the public release of iOS 16.1 announced for October 24. Check out the common problems, new features, bugs fixed, improvements and more!
iOS 16.1 RC Problems
This is the last chance to report issues before the public release. Help us uncover them and we will try to provide the best troubleshooting options available, as well as forward your feedback to Apple:
- 1. Live Activities not availablein the Apple TV app.
- 2. Stage Manager rotation bug when you switch from Landscape to Portrait and back to Landscape every window is a different size and in a different position. Reported by Chris D.
- 3. iOS 16 Dark theme wallpaper not included. (Not really a bug, but something many iPhone fans have been waiting for).
- 4. External display support not available in this iPadOS version (Also not a bug, but it’s something that’s missing and was included in earlier betas.)
- 5. Volume can’t be adjusted during a call, when the iPhone is next to your ear. Reported by Paul (iPhone 13 Pro).
Workaround: Distance the device from your face and try again. More details here.
- 6. GPS signal very weak after updating to iOS 16.1 RC.
Fix: Turn Off Location Services, reboot device and re-enable Location Services.
- 7. Swipe Up Home Animation stutters when trying to return to Home screen. Confirmed by Malcolm.
Temporary Fixes: Restart iPhone, turn off AOD. More details here.
- 8. Dynamic Island stutters when locking iPhone 14 Pro with Side Button and display transitions to AOD. Reported by Luis.
Temporary Fix: Force restart. More details here.
- 9. Keyboard not showing up when swiping for Spotlight Search. This glitch has been reported in previous iOS 16 versions too.
Fix: Reboot iPhone. If it won’t fix read more here.
- 10. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Fact: For more known issues we also recommend you to check iOS 16.1 Developer release notes.
iOS 16.1 Features
Below you can review all changes highlighted by Apple in the update log:
- 1. iCloud Shared Photo Library
– Separate library for seamlessly sharing photos and videos with up to five other people
– Setup rules allow you to easily contribute past photos based on start date or people in the photos when you set up or join a library
– Library filters for quickly switching between viewing the Shared Library, your Personal Library, or both libraries together
– Shared edits and permissions let everyone add, edit, favorite, caption, and delete photos
– Sharing toggle in Camera lets you choose to send photos you take straight to the Shared Library, or enable a setting to share automatically when other participants are detected nearby using Bluetooth.
- 2. Live Activities – third-party apps are able to provide live data for tracking various events from the Dynamic Island and on the Lock Screen for iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 14 Pro Max.
- 3. Fitness+ – is finally available on iPhone for users without an Apple Watch!
- 4. Wallet
– Key sharing for secure and easy sharing of car, hotel room, and other keys in Wallet with the help of popular messaging apps like Messages and WhatsApp.
– Savings account allows Apple Card customers to increase their Daily Cash by depositing it in a high yield savings account.
- 5. Home – finally gets Matter, a new new smart home connectivity standard. This allows a wide variety of smart home accessories to work together across multiple ecosystems.
- 6. Clean Energy Charging is a new feature that tries to reduce the carbon footprint of your device be trying to charge it when lower carbon emission electricity is usually available.
- 7. Books comes with a change that hides reader controls automatically when you start reading.
- To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
We do expect more changes that will pass under the radar. Check them out below:
iOS 16.1 RC Bugs Fixed
According to Apple’s release notes we can highlight three issues that have been addressed in this release:
- 1. Deleted texts might continue to appear in the conversation list in Messages.
- 2. Dynamic Island content not available in Reachability view.
- 3. CarPlay not connecting when using a VPN app.
- 5. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Nevertheless, we expect many other under-the-hood fixes for annoying iOS 16 problems. We’re updating them below after testing and after receiving feedback from our readers:
iOS 16.1 RC Download
This update is available over-the-air in Settings -> General -> Software Update as long as the iOS 16 Beta Profile is installed on iPhone.
Else, you have to sign up as a Public Beta tester and enroll your device, with the help of the iOS 16 Configuration Profile. A step-by-step guide is available here.
Tip: Do perform a full encrypted backup of your iPhone on computer in Finder (Mac) or iTunes (Windows), before updating!
Have you installed iOS 16.1 RC on iPhone? Have you noticed any other changes not mentioned in this article? What about other bug fixes or new problems? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Apple has also released iPadOS 16.1 RC (20B79), macOS Ventura 13 RC (22A379), watchOS 9.1 RC (20S75) and tvOS 16.1 RC (20K71).
I still have the touchscreen problem with my iPhone X (replacement display). Ist that solved with 16.1?
We’re still waiting for confirmations.
Not able to change volume with buttons during calls. Is this a bug or another functionality that apple considered tweaking in ios 16?
I have the same problem 16.1 i cant hear the voice msg (whatsapp) when i put the phone on my ear..
Thanks for reporting. Have you tried restarting your device? Does it help?
Yes i did it so many times and nothing changed
Offload Whatsapp and reinstall it as shown here:
Dynamic island animation stuttering when locking iphone. did not happen in previous versions!!!
Swipe-up to Home Screen still stutters. I expected this to be fixed by the RC!
My phone screen won’t swipe up, down left or right after updating to iOS 16.0.3
Will this is be fixed on iOS 16.1?
Apparently, it won’t. However, we’re waiting for more reports. You might have to downgrade to iOS 15.7.
Are u sure…because my screen swipes left and right but won’t swipe all the way…but when I turn on touch accommodations, it helps
How do I even downgrade to iOS 15.7 when it’s unsigned by Apple
What I’m trying to say is…the touch is a problem after updating to iOS 16.0.3…because the screen won’t swipe completely to the left or completely to the right when I’m on the home screen…also swiping up to exit a app or unlock the phone won’t work nor swiping down to access the Notification Center. I had the problem before when iOS 16 first came out but i downgraded to iOS 15.7 successfully and now I cannot downgrade to iOS 15.7 since it’s unsigned by Apple. If this isn’t fixed in iOS 16.1, hopefully it is fixed in iOS 16.2. Pls anyone respond
iOS 15.7 is still signed.
iOS 15.7 is still signed: https://www.iphonetricks.org/ios-15-7-still-signed-downgrade-from-ios-16/
I have a video that I could send if that helps u to understand the issue that I’m experiencing.I’ve seen videos online where people are experiencing the same issue..once again hopefully it is fixed in a future update.
I still have problems with my touchscreen on my iPhone XR after updating to iOS 16.0.2
Yes, this is a known issue and has been reported for iOS 16.0.3 too. iOS 16.1 will be out on Monday. if it doesn’t fix it it means that this no issue after all, but intended behavior from Apple against aftermarket screen replacements.
I went on the site https://ipsw.me/iPhone11,8?model=A1984 and it say unsigned
I’ll send a link from YouTube showing the issue I’m having
Do you see iOS 15.7 in that list? It’s not because it’s an optional update to iOS 16 and it’s not tracked. iOS 15.7 is still signed.
Okay so how do I downgrade then, how can I find iOS 15.7 and downgrade to it. However that issue that I’m having was been reported by a couple people on the iOS 16.0.3 article u wrote https://www.iphonetricks.org/touch-screen-not-working-on-iphone-ios-16-fix/
Saying that there screen is unresponsive and won’t swipe properly
A step-by-step guide is available here:
Hey Patricia, so I just sent a link from YouTube showing the issue that I have…I also went on the ipsw.me website which was the same website I used to downgrade my iPhone XR to iOS 15.7 but as I said before it’s saying that it’s unsigned it’s only saying that iOS 16.0.3 is the only signed firmware available.However just clarify, I’m on iOS 16.0.3 and I’m using a iPhone XR.
Problem #5 just reported in the Feedback app. If you encounter the same problem, please report it.
Is this happening in the public release of iOS 16.1 too?
After updating IOS 16.1 CarPlay not connecting to car
Thanks for sharing. Have you tried to restart iPhone? Are you using wired or wireless connection?
I just got an iPhone 13 with iOS 16.1, and the call history is doing something strange. It’s registering missed calls that never happened, and grouping calls from contacts (Name 1 & Name 2) even though only one of those contacts called me and the other didn’t. It also fails to register the time and the duration of the call.
Thanks for reporting Marissa.
1. For missed calls that never happen, try to turn Off WiFi calling in Settings -> Phone -> Wi-Fi Calling.
2. For group calls the only fix that I’ve found requires you to clean install iOS 16.1. This is done with the help of a computer (Mac or Windows). You need Finder (Mac) or iTunes (Windows). Backup your device and use the Restore iPhone option. It will reinstall the current OS and you can restore the data from your backup. More details here:
Let us know if it helps.