iOS 16.4.1a Security Response Update For iPhone And iPad
Apple has released iOS 16.4.1a the first ever Security Response update for an iPhone and iPad! It’s a new type of software release that brings security improvements to your device, without an actual software update!
iOS 16.4.1a Security Update
Rapid security responses for iOS and iPadOS are installed automatically if you have the option enabled in Settings. However, we recommend you to do avoid automatic updates and keep things on manual. Here is how to proceed:
- 1. Open Settings and go for General -> Software Update.
- 2. iOS Security Response 16.4.1 (a) shows up similar to a regular software update.
- 3. Tap Download and Install.
- 4. Enter device passcode and be patient until the patch is downloaded, prepared and installed.
Tip: to toggle between automatic / manual Security Response Updates go for Settings -> General -> Software Update -> Automatic Updates and toggle the Security Responses & System Files option On or Off.
iOS 16.4.1a Security Features
Apple doesn’t provide a detailed update log about this software release. We’re informed that it could bring:
“improvements to the Safari web browser, the WebKit framework stack, or other critical system libraries. They may also be used to mitigate some security issues more quickly, such as issues that might have been exploited or reported to exist ‘in the wild.'”
More details can be found in Apple’s support document published here.
iOS 16.4.1 Security Response FAQ
- 1. Does the iOS Rapid Security Response require iPhone / iPad restart?
A: Yes, similar to a regular software update, the device will have to reboot for the changes to take effect. However, you can delay the restart by selecting Not Now when prompted.
- 2. Can you uninstall an iOS Security Response update?
A: Yes, iOS 16.4.1a can be uninstalled in Settings -> General -> About -> iOS Version -> Remove Security Response.
- 3. Can you tell if an iOS Security Response update has been installed on your device?
A: Yes, the patch adds a letter like ‘a’ or ‘b’ to the current iOS 16.4.1 version number to let you distinguish between the two.
iOS 16.4.1a also comes with build number 20E772520a
- 4. Can you refuse an iOS Security update?
A: Yes. If you don’t install the Rapid Security Response patches all changes will be installed along with an upcoming regular software update like iOS 16.4.2 or iOS 16.5.
iOS 16.4.1 Security Response Issues?
Problems reported by users after installing this security patch are highlighted below:
- 1. Unable to verify security response? This error message has been reported by Joy.
Workaround: Be patient. Most likely, Apple’s servers are busy. Try again after one hour.
- 2. To be updated!
Have you installed iOS 16.4.1a or iPadOS 16.4.1a? Do you have any questions? Share your feedback in the comments!
Related: Apple has also issued macOS 13.3.1a a Rapid Security Response update for Macs running the latest version of macOS Ventura!