Is Tap to Wake not working properly on iPhone after iOS 16 update? Screen lights up with a few seconds delay after you tap it? Issue persists in 16.1 and 16.1.1 updates? You’re not alone! This unexpected behavior is impacting most devices.
Tap To Wake Not Working iOS 16
This problem has been reported by shijo (iPhone 14 Pro Max):
“When I take my phone out of the pocket sometimes it won’t wake up automatically and i need to click the side button twice. Raise to wake is enabled.”
We can also replicate this issue and have found multiple similar complaints on Reddit:
“Since iOS 16 Im having tap to wake delays, it was like 2-3 seconds (not always, sometimes my iPhone unlocks instantly).”
“I’ve noticed with the Iphone 14 PM that sometimes i have to tap twice to wake the screen up.”
How To Fix iOS 16 Tap To Wake Issues
- 1. Wake the iPhone’s screen and touch & hold the Lock Screen to bring up the Edit menu.
- 2. Tap Customize under your current Lock Screen.
- 3. Go for Lock Screen and tap on the widgets section, available under the current time.
- 4. Remove all widgets using the “-“ icon.
- 5. Tap Done to save your edits.
Fact: Tap to wake should work properly without Lock Screen widgets. Apparently this new feature has to be fine tuned to stop delaying the screen revival.
Other Fixes For Tap To Wake Problems
- Go for Settings -> Accessibility -> Touch.
- Turn Off Tap to Wake.
- Force Restart iPhone / iPad.
- Re-enable Tap to Wake.
Have you managed to fix Tap To Wake not working in iOS 16? Do you have a better solution or other issues to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: For more iOS 16.1.1 bugs and the available workarounds check our extended review.