Last updated on October 30th, 2021 at 08:13 pmPosted in News by Miika on October 25, 2021
Apple has released watchOS 8.1 (build 19R570) alongside iOS 15.1, iPadOS 15.1 and macOS Monterey. This update includes improvements and bug fixes and is available for all compatible Apple Watches.
watchOS 8.1 Download
- In the My Watch tab, tap on General -> Software Update.
- Tap Download and Install, after reviewing the release notes.
- Be patient until the update is requested, downloaded and prepared for update.
- To Install watchOS 8.1 you need the Apple Watch on its charger, in range of the iPhone and connected to Wi-Fi.
watchOS 8.1 Features
Apple mentions two new features and one improvement in the update log:
- Wallet is now able to stored your COVID-19 vaccination card and present the proof direct from your watch.
- Fitness+ is now SharePlay compatible. Subscribers can invite up to 32 people to workout together through a FaceTime call. This works together with an iPhone, iPad or Apple TV.
- Fall Detection gets enhanced algorithms that are able to detect falls during workouts. The feature can now be enabled on Apple Watch Series 4 and later.
watchOS 8.1 Release Notes
Fact: For the security content of this update you can tap here (official Apple page).
watchOS 8.1 Bugs
Apple mentions a single bug fix in the update log. However, sometimes more patches are done silently. If you notice a fix that’s not listed here don’t hesitate to inform us via the comments section.
- Always On time bug – This is one of the most annoying watchOS 8 issues. Apple Watch time won’t update when the wrist is down. Time can jump even tens of minutes when user raises its wrist after a longer break.
- To be updated!
Other known watchOS 8 issues that haven’t been reported as fix in the release notes are:
- Music controls not working on Apple Watch. (Status: -)
- Activity Rings disappearing from Watch Face.
- Dismiss button not working properly when trying to close a Messages notification.
Issues surfacing in watchOS 8.1 are listed below:
Apple Watch screen not turning On when raising wrist after updating to watchOS 8.1
Credits: Rui F. O.
Apple Watch distance calculation issues during workout. Watch reports about 25% less distance for the same route covered.
Credits: David B.
- To be updated! (Waiting for your feedback.)
Have you updated Apple Watch to watchOS 8.1? Did you encounter any problems? What’s your feedback? Use the comments section and share your thoughts.