How To Use Google Drive Widget For Home Screen In iOS 14
Google has recently updated its Drive app, for iPhone and iPad, with support for the new iOS 14 Home Screen widgets. All that you have to do to be able to quickly search and access your files, is to update to the most recent Google Drive version for iOS (Version 4.2020.46208 or later) and add the widget to your device’s Home Screen.
How To Add Google Drive Widget To Home Screen
- Long-press on the Home Screen until apps start to jiggle and you enable the Edit mode.
- Tap the ‘+’ icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Search or scroll for Drive.
- At the time of writing, a single Google Drive widget is available. It’s called ‘Search files in Drive’ and comes in the medium size. Tap Add Widget.
- Drag & drop the widget to the desired location on your iPhone’s Home Screen and tap Done to finish.
Trick To Edit Google Drive Widget
By default, the Google Drive widget displays a Search field, accompanied by the most recent files added to your drive. Tapping the search bar opens the Drive app’s search function. Interacting with the highlighted files opens up the file in question in Google Drive.
There is a hidden option of changing the Google Drive widget layout. Long-press on the widget and tap on Edit Widget. Disable the ‘Show suggested files’ option. This will cause the glance to display shortcuts for Upload and Camera instead.
Tapping on Upload opens up the image picker from Photos allowing you to add new files to your Drive. While the Camera quick action opens up your iPhone’s camera and allows you to instantly snap a photo or record a video that you can upload to Google Drive.
Are you using the Google Drive app on your iPhone or iPad? What do you think about the new widget? Use the comments section to share your feedback.
Related: Do you know that you can also add the Gmail widget in iOS 14? While the Google Search widget is the first one that was updated with Home Screen widget support!