Last updated on June 12th, 2021 at 02:11 pm
Setting up an AirTag is easy and straightforward. However, there are some situations when you might encounter hiccups along the way. So, let’s see how to unbox, set up and track everyday items like: backpack, handbag, keys, wallet, luggage and many more.
How To Unbox AirTag
- Unseal the box by pulling the green arrow.
- Open the lid and drag the AirTag out of the box.
- Pull the plastic seal to get the AirTag out of the packaging.
- Detach the seal from the AirTag to activate the Bluetooth tracker. The AirTag plays a sound to confirm the activation. It’s now ready to connect!
Fact: For all collectors out there, unfortunately no Apple sticker is included in the AirTag box!
How To Connect AirTag to iPhone
- Tap Connect on the connect AirTag card that slides up from the bottom of the screen.
- Pick a name for your AirTag from predefined options like: backpack, bike, camera, handbag, headphones, jacket, keys, wallet, luggage, umbrella or set a Custom Name. Tap Continue.
- Type a name for your AirTag ,if you chose the last option. Else, skip to the next step.
- Choose an Emoji to easier identify your AirTag in Find My.
Tip: Use the built-in Emoji Keyboard. The quick search feature is the fastest way around. I recommend you to type ‘white circle’. This way you have an Emoji that resembles the AirTag. It looks like an AirTag Memoji. Doesn’t it?
- Confirm that you want to register AirTag to your Apple ID. Tap Continue.
- Be patient while iPhone is setting up AirTag.
- Tap View in Find My app, to review the settings or hit Done to finish.
How To Set Up AirTag Video Tutorial
Play the YouTube video embedded below and have a better look at the AirTag unboxing and setup process:
AirTag Set Up Not Working?
Are you stuck with setting up AirTag? Is the Bluetooth tracker not detected by your iPhone or iPad? Here are some common causes and fixes:
1. AirTag Requirements
First of all, make sure that you’re trying to connect an AirTag to a compatible iPhone! Apple AirTags can be paired with any iPhone or iPad that’s running iOS 14.5 / iPadOS 14.5 or later.
Fact: The AirTag Precision finding feature is only available for iPhone 11 models and newer.
2. Enable Two-Factor Authentication
iPhone and iPad have to be used with two-factor authentication enabled!
How To: Browse for Settings -> Apple ID -> Passwords & Security. Tap on Turn On Two-Factor Authentication and follow the on-screen prompts.
3. Turn-On Find My
Find My has to be enabled on your device to be able to set up AirTag:
How To: Settings -> Apple ID -> Find My -> Find My iPhone.
4. A Single AirTag
If you bought the 4-pack AirTag, make sure that you have a single tracker nearby your iPhone. The items have to be set up one at a time.
AirTag Settings In Find My
- Open Find My and tap the Items tab.
- Tap on the AirTag name.
- Swipe up to expand the settings card:
– Play Sound – if your Bluetooth tracker is nearby but you can’t see it.
– Find – to enable precision finding and use your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch to pinpoint the AirTag.
– Notifications – If Notify When Left Behind is enabled, you get a notification when the AirTag gets detached from the paired iOS device.
Fact: There’s also a ‘Notify When Found’ option. That’s greyed out and can be activated only when you activate Lost Mode.
– Lost Mode: Enable it you lose your AirTag.
– Rename Item: Change the name and/or the Emoji assigned to your AirTag.
– Remove Item: Unpair AirTag from iPhone to be able to gift or resell it.
How To Track AirTag
- Open it and view the Items section.
- Tap on your AirTag.
- The Last seen location is displayed at the top of the screen, right below the name.
- If the item is nearby you can tap on Find and use the Precision Finding feature to get the most accurate location. Play a sound if you can’t see it.
Fact: Precision tracking only works with iPhone 11 and newer devices. Older iPhone models don’t display the Find option. But you can still play a sound to detect the AirTag.
- If the AirTag is not with you, you can use Maps for directions.
Tip: In iOS 15 you can use the new Find My widget for items and get a glance of your AirTag directly on the Home Screen!
Have you managed to set up your AirTag? What are you first impressions? Use the comments section to share your feedback. Don’t hesitate to ask for help if needed.
Related: How to check and update AirTag firmware version!