In a surprising move, Apple has decided to offer the iOS 17 Developer Beta free for anyone that wishes to try it out and owns a compatible device. Same applies for all other test versions including iPadOS 17, watchOS 10, macOS Sonoma 14, tvOS 17 and HomePod 17.
iOS 17 Developer Beta Free?
Yes, you don’t need a paid Apple Developer membership or to download the new beta profiles from unofficial sources and third-party websites!
This is confirmed by Apple in this support document that compares the Sign In with Apple ID vs the paid Apple Developer Program:
You can grab the iOS 17, iPadOS 17, macOS 14 and watchOS 10 Developer beta profiles for free! Here is how to:
- 1. Open developer.apple.com/account/ and sign in with your Apple ID.
- 2. Scroll to Software Downloads and tap view downloads.
- 3. Go to iOS 17 beta or any other desired test version and tap Install Profile.
- 4. Follow the on-screen prompts and install the iOS 17 Configuration Profile on your device. Reboot.
- 5. Go for Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- 6. Check the Beta Updates section. If it’s Off, tap it an select iOS 17 Developer Beta.
- 7. Return to the Software Update screen and iOS 17 Developer Beta will become available.
- 8. Tap Download and Install, provide your device’s Passcode and be patient while the test version is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed!
Important: Before you proceed to the next I want to make sure that you’re aware that these early test version have a fair share of bugs. Most likely third-party apps like banking apps won’t work! Apple only recommends installation on secondary devices used for testing!
Tip: If you do decide to proceed an install an early Developer beta on your main device, make sure that you perform a full and encrypted backup of your device (using Finder or iTunes) before proceeding!
Tip: As soon as iOS 17 beta is installed on your device, follow the on-screen prompts and you’re ready to try it out!
Fact: Repeat these steps for iPadOS 17 on iPad, macOS Sonoma 14 on Mac, watchOS 10 on Apple Watch, tvOS 17 on Apple TV and HomePod OS 17 for HomePod!
Have you installed the new Apple Developer betas on your Apple devices? Do you encounter any issues? Share your feedback in the comments!