macOS Big Sur is already available for testing, to Apple Developers. The beta version is scheduled to become public in July. The big release has been announced for this fall. Until then, you can download the macOS Big Sur wallpaper and use it as a desktop background on any Mac, iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. It also automatically resizes on all non-Apple computers and other smartphones. Your device doesn’t need to be compatible with Big Sur. We’ve extracted the wallpapers from the source code and shared them below.
macOS Big Sur Wallpapers
What Means Big Sur?
Big Sur is the name of a beautiful 90-mile-long Californian coastline that’s located about 150 miles south of San Francisco and 300 miles north of Los Angeles.
To be more precise Big Sur points to a 90-mile stretch of rugged and awesomely beautiful coastline between Carmel (south) and San Simeon (north).
It’s the spectacular place where the Pacific Ocean meets the Santa Lucia Mountains to create a rocky coast.
To be able to visit it you have to ride along Highway one or just download the macOS Big Sur wallpapers provided below. You can use them on any computer, tablet or smartphone.
macOS Big Sur California Wallpapers
macOS Big Sur dynamic appearance 5k (6016 x 6016)
macOS Big Sur Safari Splash Screen Wallpapers
How To Download & Install macOS Big Sur Wallpaper
1. Select the desired wallpaper and click on its thumbnail, to open the image in a new tab.
2. Click with two fingers and select ‘Save Image As…’. Download the macOS Big Sur wallpaper on your desktop.
3. Click with two fingers on the thumbnail of the newly downloaded background.
4. Select ‘Set Desktop Picture’.
1. Pick the desired wallpaper resolution and left-click on the respective thumbnail to open the image in a new tab.
2. Right-click the wallpaper and choose the ‘Save image as’ option. The background image will be saved on the Desktop or in your predefined target location.
3. Open the Desktop view and double-click the image to view it.
4. Right-click and select ‘Set as desktop background’.
All the above backgrounds display perfectly on iPhones and iPads too.
1. Open the desired wallpaper on your iPhone. Be patient because you will be downloading high resolution images.
2. In Google Drive tap the download icon, a downward pointing arrow available at the top of the screen.
3. Next, tap View to preview the wallpaper.
4. Long-press the image and select ‘Add to Photos’.
5. Open the Photos app and set the downloaded image to be used as a wallpaper. More details, as well as the default iOS 14 wallpapers are available here.
On which computer do you plan to use the default macOS Big Sur backgrounds? Let us know in the comments section available below!
Related: Check out the complete list of Macs compatible with the Big Sur software update!