You have the option to allow apps only partial access to your Photos library, instead of sharing the entire CameraRoll.
Whenever an app asks for permission to access the Photos app, a third option called ‘Select Photos…’ is now available!
This is a highly welcomed addition when we talk about apps that you rarely use, such as those that want to verify your identity or require you to upload an image.
When using the ‘Select Photos’ option you literally cherry-pick the images from the Photos app that you want to give access to. You can chose a single photo or more.
How To Use The iOS 14 Select Photos Privacy Feature
After you update to iOS 14, app permissions will be updated every time you open an application for the first time. Photo editing apps will ask for Photos and Camera access.
1. A popup stating ‘[App name] Would Like to Access Your Photos’ is displayed on your iPhone or iPad screen. You have three options available:
– Select Photos…
– Allow Access to All Photos
– Don’t Allow
2. Tap on the image / images that you want to use to select them.
3. Hit Done, in the upper-right corner when ready.
How To Allow Additional Photos
Once you opted to allow partial access to the Photos app, you will be asked if you want to ‘Select More Photos…’ every time you open the app.
That’s why this privacy feature is handy for apps that you don’t use often. Nevertheless, if you’re a privacy control freak you can drip-feed access to your photos whenever you open Instagram, TikTok, Facebook or any other popular social media app.
Fact: If you don’t want to allow access to other photos tap on ‘Keep Current Selection’.
How To Edit Photo Access Permissions
If you opted for the new iOS 14 Select Photos privacy feature for an app and have reconsidered in the mean time and want to have a more relaxed approach, you have to change the permissions in the Settings app.
1. Open the iOS 14 or iPadOS 14 Settings app.
2. Scroll all the way down and find the app in question. Tap on the [app name].
3. Select Photos, from the allow access list.
4. Tap on ‘All Photos’ to change the selection from ‘Selected Photos’.
Are you finding the iOS 14 Select Photos privacy feature handy? Do you plan to use it often? Use the comments section available below and let us know.
Related: Do you know that you can disable the Precise Location setting and allow apps only access to your approximate location? This is another cool privacy feature coming in iOS 14!