Apple has seeded iOS 16.4 RC build number 20E246 for Developers and Public Beta testers! This pre-release version is available for iPhone 8 and later and brings new emojis, enhancements as well as bug fixes, security updates and more!
iOS 16.4 Issues
Before you update to this beta version check out problems reported by users that have already tested it out:
- 1. Notification Center animations not working properly. They glitch out occasionally when opening the Notification Center. Confirmed by LukeVeras.
- 2. Spotlight search keyboard glitches out. Reported by Smply_Rckless.
- 3. ID card error in Wallet when adding or presenting the document. Mentioned in the Developer release notes.
- 4. Pages, Numbers, and Keynote require collaborative documents to be closed when Advanced Data Protection for iCloud is enabled.
Workaround: Close the affected document and reopen it after a few minutes. Source: Apple Developer notes.
- 5. iCloud Drive not working when opened from Files.
Workaround: Restart iPhone or iPad.
- 6. Apple Watch migration not working when restoring a backup to a new phone.
Workaround: Unpair AW from the previous iPhone, then pair it to the destination phone.
- 7. To be updated.
iOS 16.4 Bug Fixes
The update log mentions two issues that have been addressed in this release:
- 1. Ask to Buy requests from children not appearing on the parent’s device has been fixed!
- 2. Matter-compatible thermostats unresponsive when paired to Apple Home has been solved!
- 3. To be updated!
More: The Developer release notes mention a series of issues addressed for: Passkeys and Authentication Services, Safari Web Extensions, SwiftUi and MapKit.
Tip: You can review them all here.
iOS 16.4 Security Updates
The security fixes of this version haven’t been shared yet. We will update this section as soon as they become available.
iOS 16.4 Features
- 1. Emoji keyboard gets 21 new emoji including animals, hand gestures, and objects.
- 2. Web App Notifications are now available for those added to the Home Screen.
- 3. Voice Isolation for cellular calls prioritizes your voice and filters out the ambient noise.
- 4. Duplicates album in Photos can now also detect duplicate media in an iCloud Shared Photo Library.
- 5. VoiceOver support for maps in Weather.
- 6. Video is automatically dimmed when flashes of light or strobe effects are detected.
- 7. Crash Detection enhanced for iPhone 14 and 14 Pro models.
The most notable new feature in this release are the new emojis available thanks to support for the Unicode 15.0 Emoji standard!
- Autocorrect for the Korean keyboard is turned on by default for testing and feedback.
- Ukrainian keyboard supports predictive text.
- Gujarati, Punjabi, and Urdu keyboards get support for transliteration layouts.
- Choctaw and Chickasaw get new keyboard layouts.
Other keyboard improvements, according to the release notes, are:
- Home – Both manual and automatic Software Update support is now available for Matter Accessories
- Settings – Apple Developer Program members can enable/disable beta updates on iPhone or iPad directly from Settings -> Software Update.
iOS 16.4 RC Update
Fact: Never installed an iOS beta on your device? Here is a step-by-step guide!
Have you downloaded 16.4 RC or iPadOS 16.4 RC on your device? Help us cover all changes and improvements! Share bug fixes or new issues detected in the comments!
Related: Apple has also seeded iPadOS 16.4 RC (20E246), macOS 13.3 RC (22E252), watchOS 9.4 RC (20T253), tvOS 16.4 RC (20L497) and HomePod 16.4 RC.