Last updated on September 18th, 2023 at 07:37 amPosted in Reviews by Patricia on September 14, 2023
iOS 17 RC build number 21A329 is available for Public and Developer beta testers! The update will become the public release version of iOS 17 if no significant problems are reported until the planned release date!
iOS 17 RC Issues
This is the last chance of reporting bugs before iOS 17 goes to the public. Here we track problems reported by users for this version:
- 1. HomeKit notification issues – users receive alerts set for when user is away from Home, although he’s not. Reported by macbook89.
- 2. Media volume down also silences notification sounds, even if ringtones and alerts are set for high volume. Reported by AntonyOrtega.
- 3. Downloaded or purchased ringtones not accessible in the text ringtone sections of sounds for bluestreakxp.
- 4. CarPlay disconnects and reconnects unexpectedly and audio is lost in the process. Reported by theoreticaljerk.
Workaround: End call and call back.
- 5. Audio not working anymore after iOS 17 RC update for this Reddit user.
- 6. Universal Control not working after iPadOS 17 RC update for a Reddit user.
- 7. Custom text tones removed after RC update as reported by Nickraymvndo.
Tip: Custom message tones set before updating to iOS 17 are still there. However, the option to assign it is gone and it’s unclear if this is a bug or not.
- 8. Apple Music animated covers not working for some users.
Fix:Turn off Increase Contrast in Settings -> Accessibility -> Display & Text Size.
- 9. Fonts tab glitchy in Settings -> General. It appears slower than the rest of the tabs.
- 10. StandBy mode not working after iOS 17 update?
Important: Apple only claims that it’s available for devices with Always-On display.
- 11. Clock faces not customizable in StandBy mode. Icon missing for liamotter.
Workaround: Delete clock widget and re-add it!
- 12. iMessage not working after iOS 17 update for some users. Issue seems to fix itself after some time.
- 13. StandBy alarm snooze not working properly if music is playing while you set the alarm and enable StandBy mode. The Now Playing screen will prevent the alarm to ring for a second time if you use the snooze function. Reported by coyote_den.
- 14. Face ID not working properly for some users after iOS 17 update.
- 15. Cell and WiFi signal bars not showing in status bar after iOS 17 RC update!
Workaround: Reboot iPhone.
- 16. Tesla mobile key not working after iOS 17 update for willie_b21. (Seems to be an isolated case.)
Fix: Un-pair and re-pair device a single time after the update.
- 17. New text ringtones low volume issue. This should be fixed in the upcoming versions.
- 18. Facebook Messenger calls not working. Microphone option is missing for Maxyonreddit.
- 19. Apple TV remote not working for this Reddit user.
- 20. Keyboard laggy and iOS 17 stuttering in general after update for some users.
Fix: Clean install iOS 17 using a computer Mac or Windows.
- 21. Notification summary broken when playing music or media after iOS 17 update. Reported by pwnlxke.
- 22. Significant Locations turn On automatically after update for some users. If you have this feature disabled, check it after iOS 17 update to make sure that it’s still inactive.
Path: Settings -> Location Services -> System Services -> Significant Locations.
- 23. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
iOS 17 RC Features
Apple confirms all the new features coming in the new OS in the update log of the Release Candidate version, which will be identical with the public release one.
The new OS brings lots of updates and changes to most iPhone apps including Phone, Messages, and FaceTime. The included changes offer you new options to express yourself during communication.
StandBy mode brings a new full-screen experience with glanceable information provided while your iPhone is charging!
AirDrop is enhanced and makes it easier to share and connect with nearby users. It adds NameDrop for seamless contact sharing!
Enhancements to the keyboard allow entering text faster and easier!
iOS 17 also includes updates to Music, Widgets, Safari, AirPlay and more. The full list is available in the print-screens uploaded here:
iOS 17 RC Bugs Fixed
Issues addressed in this release are mentioned here:
- 1. Apple logo with progress bar showing for extended periods of time has been fixed, according to Developer notes!
- 2. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
Tip: More info is available in the Developer release notes.
iOS 17 RC Download
To update to the iOS 17 Release Candidate version you need to proceed as follows:
- 1. Open Settings -> General -> Software Update using an iPhone XS or later model.
Tip: Apple recommends you to use a secondary device and perform a full encrypted backup before starting.
- 2. Tap on Beta Updates and select iOS 17 Developer Beta or iOS 17 Public Beta!
- 3. iOS 17 will show up on the Software Update screen. The RC label isn’t mentioned , although you’re dealing with the Release Candidate version.
- 4. Tap Download and Install if you run an iOS 16.x version or Update Now if you’re already running an iOS 17 beta version!
- 5. Agree with ToS, input Passcode and be patient until the new software is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed on your device!
Have you installed iOS 17 RC on iPhone or iPad? Do you encounter problems or have questions about the new features? Use the comments section please!
Related: Apple has also seeded iPadOS 17 RC (21A329), macOS Sonoma 14 RC (23A339), watchOS 10 RC (21R356), tvOS 17 RC (21J354).