Widgetsmith is the app of the moment for many iPhone users! Ever since iOS 14 was released with spectacular new Home Screen customization features, third-party apps offering custom widgets have become increasingly popular.
However, because this is a new feature, it’s not surprising that widgets come with a fair share of bugs, glitches and errors that prevent them from working as expected.
How To Fix Blurry Photos In Widgets
Lately, an increasing amount of readers complain about a new Widgetsmith issue that causes photos to display blurry in widgets! Currently, there’s no general fix for this problem. You can apply these troubleshooting steps and see which one works best for you:
1. Reboot iPhone
Let’s start with the good old iPhone force restart trick. iOS 14 is also quite fresh and you can expect minor glitches to interfere with the proper functioning of Home Screen widgets. So, let’s eliminate any temporary iOS 14 bugs by rebooting the iPhone. You can achieve this by force restarting or simply turning off your device and power it back on.
2. Update Widgetsmith
First, please make sure that you’re running the latest version of Widgetsmith for iPhone and iPad. Because this is a new app, we expect lots of updates that include bug fixes and performance improvements.
How To: To update Widgetsmith tap here and you’ll be redirected to its App Store page. If the label at the top of the page displays OPEN it means that your app is up to date. If you get UPDATE tap it to download and install the latest Widgetsmith version.
3. Re-Add Widget
- 1. Long-press on the blurry widget.
- 2. Select Edit Widget.
- 3. Tap on widget name.
- 4. Select a different widget from the list.
- 5. Tap on the widget name again and return to the original photo widget.
- 6. Tap anywhere outside of the Widgetsmith box return to the Home Screen.
4. Re-Configure Widget
- 1. Open Widgetsmith on your iPhone or iPad and tap on the widget that causes problems.
- 2. Tap on Default Widget to open the edit screen.
- 3. Choose Selected Photo setting.
- 4. Tap on Choose Photo and select the image again.
- 5. Tap Back, in the top-left corner of the screen and hit Save to save your edits.
Tip: You can also try to delete the widget and add it from scratch.
5. Create New Album
- 1. Open Photos in iOS or iPadOS 14.
- 2. In the Albums tab, tap the ‘+’ icon available in the top-left corner of the screen.
- 3. Select New Album.
- 4. Name it. You can use ‘Widgetsmith’ or ‘Photos for Widgetsmith’.
- 5. Cherry-pick the images that you want to include in the album.
- 6. Tap Save. Repeat the process if you want to use multiple photo album widgets.
Tip: Use these albums whenever you choose photos for widgets in Widgetsmith.
6. Check Picture Quality
Make sure that the image quality of the photo that you select to display in the widget is high enough. If you add a small resolution photo to a Large widget, it might end up displaying blurred simply because Widgetsmith will have to zoom in to be able to fill the entire box with your photo and thus creating a pixelated, unclear image.
7. Reinstall Widgetsmith
The final fix, which worked for most of us is deleting the Widgetsmith app and installing it back.
This comes with a big downside: all your configured widgets are lost and you have to start from scratch. If you’re using lots of Widgetsmith widgets it’s time consuming, but the blurry widgets should be fixed.
How To: Long-press on the Widgetsmith app icon and tap on Remove App. Select Delete App. Don’t send it to the App Library because this will only delete the app’s icon from the Home Screen. Re-download the app from the App Store!
Conclusion: These fixes are temporary and don’t solve the cause of the problem. Most likely, the blurry photo widgets have to be fixed with a software update and we will be the first to let you know when this happens!
Has one of the above troubleshooting tips fixed your blurry widgets? Use the comments section available below and let us know. The more feedback we get the easier it will be to pinpoint the best working fix.
Related: Check out the top 10 must-have widgets for your iPhone Home Screen!