The macOS 12 Developer Beta has been released as expected right after the WWDC21 keynote, alongside the Developer test versions of iOS 15, iPadOS 15 and watchOS 8. To download macOS Monterey Developer Beta, you need to grab the macOS 12.O Beta Profile and install it on your Mac computer. Then, you can install macOS Monterey Beta on your machine from the Software Update section!
How To Update To macOS Monterey Developer Beta
Before you start, please consider that Apple recommends you to install this version on a secondary device. Even so, we strongly recommend you to perform a full computer backup via Time Machine:
- Connect an external hard drive to your Mac (with an USB cable).
- Open System Preferences, via Spotlight Search or the Dock.
- Click on Time Machine, available in the bottom area of the window.
- Go for Select Backup Disk… and choose the external hard drive that you just purchased.
Fact: The Time Machine feature might format the hard drive for backups and proceed in a couple of minutes.
1. Download macOS Monterey Beta Profile
The macOS 12.0 Configuration Profile should be downloaded from your Apple Developer account. You need to be a paying Apple Developer ($99 year) to be able to download the Profile.
Tip: If you’re not an registered developer you can easily become one by Signing in with your Apple ID and enrolling.
- On your Mac, open Safari and browse for developer.apple.com.
- Sign In with your Apple ID and confirm with the help of two-factor authentication.
- Join the Apple Developer Program by following the on screen instructions.
- If you’re already enrolled, select macOS from the available OS listed horizontally in the upper part of the page.
- Click on Download, found in the upper-right corner.
- Scroll down and click the macOS Monterey Install Profile button. The file will be automatically downloaded to your Mac.
Fact: You might be also able to download the macOS Monterey Beta Profile for a third-party source, without registering as a developer. However, I recommend you to proceed with caution if you go this way.
2. Install macOS Monterey Beta Profile
With the macOS 12 Beta Profile downloaded on your Mac proceed as follows:
- Open the Downloads folder and double-click on the macOS Monterey Developer Beta Access Utility .dmg file.
- Next, double-click on the freshly deployed macOSDeveloperBetaAccessUtility.pkg file, to start the installer./li>
- Click Continue, twice, and Agree with Apple’s terms.
- Confirm the hard drive that you want to use for installation and click on Install.
- Provide your admin password to authenticate the installation.
- The Installation was successful message should be displayed on your screen. Close the macOS Developer Beta Access Utility window.
3. Download macOS Monterey Developer Beta
macOS System Preferences checks automatically for a new software update after the installer finishes deploying.
Tip: If you get the Update Not Found error, don’t worry! Your Mac might inform you that the requested version of macOS is not available! Close the dialog box and open System Preferences.
Click on Software Update and go for Upgrade Now to download and install the macOS Monterey developer beta on your machine.
Fact: The macOS 12.0 Beta download file is over 11.78 GB large. Make sure that your MacBook is plugged-in and that its connected to a stable Wi-Fi network.
4. Install macOS Monterey Developer Beta
After macOS 12 beta is downloaded the Install Now button becomes active on the Software Update screen, or a prompt automatically appears, inviting you to install.
Click Continue, agree with Apple’s Terms and go for Install.
Follow the on-screen prompts and install macOS Monterey beta on your machine.
Fact: Your Mac will automatically restart to mark the end of the update process!
How To Get Started With macOS Monterey
After your Mac restarts you have to signing in with your password.
Click Continue and also sign in with your Apple ID if required.
Click Get Started and you’ll be redirected to the desktop.
Start testing out macOS 12.0 Monterey!
macOS Monterey Installation Troubleshooting
If you encounter any problems during your macOS Monterey Beta update process don’t hesitate to use the comments section available below and ask for help. We will update here all common problems.
1. macOs Monterey Developer Beta doesn’t show up in the Software Update screen.
Fix: Restart your Mac and check again. A fresh reboot should do the trick.
Have you updated to macOS Monterey Developer Beta? What’s your feedback? Share you favorite new features! Use the comment section!
Related: If you’re not planning to install macOS 12.0 yet and are waiting for a later fine tuned version, you can at least get into the groove with by downloading the new macOS Monterey wallpaper on your Big Sur desktop!