The macOS Monterey Public Beta is now available for all compatible Macs! All that you have to do is enroll your MacBook to the Apple Beta Software Program and install macOS 12 Public Beta over-the-air, in System Preferences. Of course, that you should backup your computer before you start the update process!
How To Backup With Time Machine
If you’re not happy with the performance of the macOS Monterey Public Beta and want to downgrade to Big Sur, you need a backup saved before updating. You won’t be able to use a backup made in macOS 12 after reverting back to macOS 11. This is why we strongly recommend you to create a Time Machine backup first:
- Connect an external hard drive to your Mac (with an USB cable).
- Open System Preferences, from Dock or Spotlight Search.
- Click Time Machine, available in the bottom area of the window.
- Click Select Backup Disk… and choose the external hard drive that you just connected.
Follow the on-screen prompts and be patient until the backup is completed.
How To Update To macOS Monterey Public Beta
Updating to macOS 12 Public Beta is easy. Follow the steps described below:
Download macOS Monterey Beta Profile
- 1. Open Safari or any other browser on your Mac and go to the Apple Beta Software Program website.
- 2. Sign Up or Sign In with your Apple ID. Provide your Mac’s admin password if required.
- 3. Click on the enroll your Mac link available under the Get Started section.
- 4. Click on Download the macOS Public Beta Access Utility button, available in the 2nd paragraph, called ‘Enroll your Mac‘.
Install macOS Monterey Beta Profile
- 5. Open the Downloads folder on your Mac and click the recently downloaded macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.dmg file.
- 6. Double-click on macOSPublicBetaAccessUtility.pkg file, listed in the macOS Public Beta Access Utility window.
Fact: If you haven’t backed up your Mac with Time Machine you will get the ‘No Time Machine backup detected’ popup. Click OK to acknowledge it and proceed at your own risk.
- 7. Click Continue twice and Agree with Apple’s terms regarding this update.
- 8. Click Install, provide your Mac admin password and click Install Software to deploy the macOS Monterey Beta Profile.
Fact: The ‘Update not found‘ error popup might be displayed on the screen, after the macOS Beta Profile is installed. That’s because the software automatically searches for an update once the profile is deployed. Click OK to close it. Your Mac will scan for a software update once again and the macOS Monterey beta will become available.
macOS Monterey Public Beta Download
- 9. Click on Upgrade Now to begin the download of the macOS Monterey Public Beta on your machine.
Fact: For MacBook Air the macOS 12 Public Beta is 11,73 GB large.
Install macOS Monterey Public Beta
- 10. Click Continue on the macOS Monterey beta installation screen. Agree with Apple’s Terms.
- 11. Select the disk for the macOS Monterey public beta installation and click Continue.
Tip: Is there not enough space to download macOS Monterey on your computer? Check out these ways to free up storage space on Mac!
- 12. Click Install Now and follow the on-screen prompts to complete the installation process.
Fact: Your Mac will automatically restart to mark the end of the update process! Log-in with your admin account and get started with macOS 12!
Have you managed to update to the macOS Monterey Public Beta? Do you encounter problems? Can we help? What’s your feedback? Are there any bugs that annoy you? Use the comments section and share your thoughts.
Related: In macOS 12 you can AirPlay from iPhone to Mac and run videos like those exclusive ones available Apple Fitness+ that aren’t natively supported by macOS!