How To Install watchOS 8 Developer Beta On Apple Watch
To be able to install watchOS 8 Developer Beta on an Apple Watch, you first need to download and install the iOS 15 Beta on the paired iPhone! Apple has released the very first test versions of iOS 15, iPadOS 15, watchOS 8 and macOS Monterey, right after the WWDC21 Keynote. Here we you how to update to them, step-by-step.
watchOS 8 Developer Beta Requirements
If your Apple Watch is able to run watchOS 7, it’s also compatible with watchOS 8. However, before we start please be fully aware that Apple recommends beta versions to be installed only on secondary devices. More, the watchOS 8 Beta is different from its siblings, because you can’t downgrade to the most recent watchOS 7 public version once you commit to the test program.
How To Update To watchOS 8 Developer Beta
1. Update iPhone to iOS 15 Developer Beta
To install iOS 15 Beta on your iPhone, you first have to grab the iOS 15 Configuration Profile. This is done from the Apple Developer Page. With the Beta Profile installed you can proceed with the iOS 15 Developer Beta in Settings -> General -> Software Update.
Tutorial: We’ve already published a detailed step-by-step guide about this process. You can read it here.
2. Install watchOS 8 Beta Profile On iPhone
With the iOS 15 Beta installed on the paired iPhone, you have to visit the Apple Developer Page again and download the watchOS 8 Configuration Profile.
- Sign in with your Apple ID.
- Tap on Discover and go for watchOS.
- Tap Download and make sure that you’re signed in with your Apple ID.
- Use the Install Profile option.
- Tap Allow, to confirm that you agree with the file download.
- Tap on Install and enter your iPhone passcode if required.
- Go for Install again and again to confirm that you want to deploy the watchOS 8 Beta Profile.
- Tap Restart, to acknowledge that you want to reboot your device for the changes to take effect.
3. Download watchOS 8 Beta On Apple Watch
Before you begin make sure that your wrist-worn gadget is connected to WiFi, attached to the MagSafe charger and near the paired iPhone:
- Open the Apple Watch app on iPhone.
- In the My Watch tab, tap on General.
- Go for Software Update and the watchOS 8 Beta should be displayed on the screen.
- Tap on Download and Install.
- Enter your iPhone’s passcode, Agree with Apple’s terms and be patient until the watchOS 8 Beta file is downloaded on your device.
4. Install watchOS 8 Beta On Apple Watch
After the update is downloaded and verified the Install Now button becomes available.
Tap it to initiate the final stage of this update process.
Your Apple Watch will automatically reboot when watchOS 8 is ready to use.
Do you know that you can also install watchOS 8 Beta directly from your wrist? This is possible if you own an Apple Watch Series 6 model.
– Click the Digital Crown and go to the Settings app.
– Browse for General -> Software Update.
– Tap Install and confirm with OK.
– Open the Watch app on your iPhone and Agree to Apple’s Terms and Conditions.
– Tap Download & Install on your Apple Watch and be patient until watchOS 8 Beta is installed on your wrist-worn gadget.
Have you managed to install watchOS 8 Beta on your Apple Watch. What are your thoughts. Share your feedback using the comments section available below. Don’t hesitate to ask if you need more clarifications.
Related: If you’re a fan of software updates and new features you might also want to try out the macOS Monterey Developer beta!