Are you looking for a way to reset an AirTag, replace its battery and pair it with your own Apple ID? Resetting Apple’s Bluetooth tracker is possible, but you also need the previous owner to remove the AirTag from their Apple ID.
Resetting AirTag isn’t even necessary if the former user is in Bluetooth range. However, if the old owner has been unexpectedly separated from the AirTag and he removes the item from his account without being nearby, you do have to reset the tracker to be able to assign it to your own Apple ID!
How To Reset AirTag
- 1. Press the polished stainless steel battery cover and in the same time, rotate counterclockwise to remove the cover.
- 2. Remove the battery and wait a couple of seconds.
- 3. Place the battery back inside the AirTag and press it down until you hear a sound.
- 4. After the sound finishes, repeat the process of removing and re-adding the battery four more times.
Important: You need to hear the sound every time you press on the battery, five times. The fifth time, the sound should be different signaling that the AirTag has been reset and is ready to pair!
- 5. Put the AirTag cover back in place. Align the three tabs of the cover with the three slots of the AirTag. Press the cover down!
- 6. Rotate the cover clockwise until it stops.
How To Replace AirTag Battery
If your AirTag battery is low, you have to physically replace it. The first generation AirTags can’t be wirelessly charged via MagSafe!
To replace the battery you have to perform the same steps described in the reset AirTag step-by-step guide shared above.
The only difference is that you won’t need to get the battery out and back in five times, unless you want to change the Apple ID.
Just replace it with a new one and close the cover.
Tip: Make sure that the battery’s ‘+’ Side is facing you when you close the cover.
AirTag Battery Requirements
Tip: We recommend you to use the same model as replacement. You can buy these at affordable prices on Amazon.
Have you managed to reset AirTag? Do you need more details? How fast did your AirTag battery deplete? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Have you lost your AirTag? Here is how to enable Lost Mode!