Last updated on January 4th, 2022 at 08:32 pmPosted in Bug Fixes by Tyrone on December 15, 2021
Is Safari lagging on Mac since macOS Monterey 12.1 update? Does Apple’s browser hang and act overloaded? Text in address bar becomes invisible and seriously affects your productivity?
Safari Lagging On Mac Issue
“Safari lagging heavily since 12.1 update. Did not have problems in Monterey 12.0.1. Anyone else?”
I’m experiencing the same issue on a MacBook Air (2017) running macOS Monterey 12.1 and problems started soon after updating.
Are you also experiencing the same glitch? Use the comments section to share your feedback and help us determine how widespread this bug is!
How To Fix Safari Lagging In macOS Monterey
Until this issue is addressed in a software update, you can temporarily fix it by relaunching Safari. However, this workaround isn’t ideal because it’s not permanent and you have to start over every time:
- Right-click the Safari icon in your macOS Dock.
- Go for Quit. Black dot displaying below the Safari icon should disappear.
- Wait a couple of seconds and click on Safari. Resume your web browsing. It should work normally now.
Other Fix For Safari Lagging On Mac
(Updated, January 4)
According to Fabrice both Safari, as well as Mail, App Store and other apps that are lagging, unresponsive or not loading after macOS Monterey update, can be fixed by changing DNS settings:
- Open System Preferences and click on Network.
- Go for Advanced.
- Click the DNS tab, available in the top menu.
- Click the ‘+’ icon to add a new DNS server
- Input a public DNS Server. You can use Google’s ones:
- Click OK to save your changes.
Fact: This fix for Safari lagging in macOS Monterey has been also confirmed by Paul R.
Safari Still Hanging On Mac?
If the overloading issue continues, the next step is to restart your computer:
- Click the Apple logo, in the top-left corner of the screen and go for Restart. Does Safari feel snappier after the reboot?
Other Safari Issues In Still macOS 12.1
Besides the lag we’ve also encountered the following glitches too:
1. Invisible Text in Address Bar
While Safari lags on Mac, the URL in the address bar becomes invisible.
It’s only fixed after quitting and relaunching the browser.
Have you managed to fix Safari lagging on Mac? Do you have a better solution? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Getting black screen on videos in Safari after updating to macOS Monterey. Here is how to fix it!