Last updated on September 25th, 2021 at 06:07 pm
Are you experiencing Safari video playback issues in iOS 15? Do you want to watch a clip embedded in a web page but the media is not playing? In fact, the movie plays, as you can see the timeline unfolding, but the video only shows a black screen? Sometimes audio and captions are available without any images?
Safari Video Black Screen Reports
This video not playing issue was reported to us by iPhoneTricks.org readers Bernaldo for iOS 15:
“I have an iPhone SE 2020. My problem is I can only listen to the sounds of a video in Safari. The video stays black and only the sound can be heard.”
and James complained about similar behavior in iPadOS 15:
“there’s new issue, video playback on chrome and safari doesn’t load properly on websites”
Safari Video Not Working Causes
We’ve managed to replicate this bug and have noticed that it only gets triggered when web pages with embedded videos are loaded in their AMP (Accelerated Mobile Pages) version.
Apparently, iOS 15 comes with a glitch that prevents Safari and other browsers from correctly playing videos embedded in AMP web pages!
How To Fix Safari Video Bug In iOS 15
Until Apple issues an iOS 15.0.x software update, with a patch for this problem, I recommend you to apply the following troubleshooting methods:
1. Disable GPU Process: Media
Update (Sept 26): Working fix provided by Ajiaz!
- Open Settings and browse for Safari.
- Scroll all the way down to Advanced.
- Go for Experimental Features.
- Disable GPU Process: Media!
Fact: Does this fix work for you too? If not, try the other workarounds described below!
2. Load Non-AMP Web Page Version
- Open Safari and load the web page that contains the video that you want to watch.
Fact: If you access it via an Googe Search engine results page, most likely your iPhone or iPad will load the page’s AMP version.
- If the embedded video won’t play, or better said displays a black screen for the entire duration of the clip, scroll all the way down to the footer of the page.
- Tap on the View Non-Amp Version link available in the footer. The standard version of the web page will load and the video playback should work without any problems!
Second AMP Workaround
- Long-press the Safari bottom tab bar to select and copy the page’s URL.
- Open Notes or any other text editing app.
- Paste the URL and delete the ‘amp’ part from the string.
- Copy the edited URL back to the clipboard.
- Return to Safari and paste it in a new tab. The regular web page version should allow you to play the embedded video without any hiccups!
Is this trick working? Are you able to fix the iOS 15 Safari video playback issue? Do you have a better solution? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: Other common iOS 15 bugs are:
– Live Text not working on iPhone.
– Silent mode bug mutes audio playback for some third-party apps.
– Storage bug triggers iPhone Storage Almost Full notification, when there’s obviously enough free space available!