AirPods 5e135 Update: Features, Issues, Bugs And Fixes
Last updated on May 11th, 2023 at 11:22 amPosted in News by Patricia on May 3, 2023
Apple has released AirPods 5e135 update for AirPods 2, 3, AirPods Pro, Pro 2 and AirPods Max with bug fixes and other improvements! In this article we track any changes, bugs fixes as well as new issues reported by users!
AirPods 5e135 Update
This new firmware updates previous versions 5e133 and 5B58 and is available to all AirPods models excepting the original ones which are stuck at 6.8.8.
AirPod firmware updates are installed automatically. However, you can force the update right now by preforming the following steps:
- 1. Connect AirPods to charger and let them charge to 100%.
Important: Both AirPods and case have to be fully charged!
- 2. Connect AirPods to iPhone, by opening the lid of the case.
- 3. Keep the lid open and keep your iPhone unlocked, with the screen on.
- 4. Wait a couple of minutes before you check Version number. Are you seeing 5e135?
How To Check AirPods Firmware Version
- 1. Connect AirPods to iPhone.
- 2. Open Settings. In iOS 16, they show up at the top of the menu.
- 3. Tap on the [airpods name].
- 4. Scroll to the About section and check Version number.
AirPods 5e135 Features
Apple doesn’t mention too many details about the contents of this update in its support document:
“Bug fixes and other improvements.”
Any changes reported by users are highlighted below:
- 1. Improved Sound Quality for AirPods Pro 2. Reported by brad.
- 2. Enhanced Noise cancellation reported by brad (AirPods Pro 2).
- 3. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
AirPods 5e135 Issues
Any problems reported for this release are tracked here along with available workarounds:
- 1. Head tracking not working as expected when using AirPods Pro 2 with an iPhone. Feature works as intended when connected to Mac. Reported by brad.
- 2. Microphone quality decreased after update for Matthew (AirPods 2).
- 3. Right AirPod crackles for Tyrone.
- 4. Loud noise in left AirPod for Tommy.
- 5. AirPods Setup Incomplete No Location Found in Find My. Reported by Tracey after AirPods 5e135 update.
- 6. Excessive Case battery drain for DaddyCool. (AirPods Pro 2)
- 7. To be updated. (Contribute in the comments!)
AirPods 5e135 Bugs Fixed
As mentioned above Apple mentions ‘bug fixes’ un the update notes. However, no other details are given. If you notice any issues addressed please share them in the comments and we will list them here:
- 1. To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
Have your AirPods updated to firmware 5e135? What’s your feedback? Do you have anu questions? Use the comments!
Related: Apple has also released a new firmware version for the MagSafe charger.
the AirPods Pro 2 that I have when I have them updated to the 5e135 update they sound way better with the sound Quilty and the noise cancelling on the AirPods are blocking more sounds when you turn the option on but no improvement to the head tracking feature while using the AirPods with the iPhone but works fine with MacBook Pro 2023 I hope apple improve this and about the battery there’s no improvements maybe others will notice the battery improvements but some won’t there can be massive improvements to the AirPods for some users but some users won’t notice because the software can be different to others when they update to the latest update
Thanks for the feedback. Not noticing any battery improvements over here either.
ever since this update the microphones sound very bad in voice calls, with distinct noise “stages” like so
-stage 1 (normal speech-ish) unintelligible over call, other people cannot understand a word im saying
-stage 2 (louder background noises, cars passing, raising voice louder) it audibly pops and starts working as normal for a bit, normal speech is intelligible as long as i keep talking. the second i shut up, it reverts to stage 1
-stage 3 (after very loud noise, tapping airpod, car horn, yelling near microphone) sound gets completely drowned out, everything sound as if from inside a tin can, lasts a couple of seconds and reverts to normal after no noise.
on gen 2 normal airpods
Right AirPod crackles when I speak.
And this only started happening now after the update?
Thanks for sharing. Have you tried to unpair and re-pair them?
Anyone else with similar problems on AirPods 2?
After updated, my left airpods has loud noise
Thanks for sharing. What AirPods model are you owning?
After the update, I get the following in “Find My” – AirPods Setup Incomplete – No Location Found. I’ve done everything the instructions have indicated and it’s still not working. Any ideas? Thanks!
Have you tried to remove and re-pair them?
I have, several times. I’ve shut off my phone, repaired, etc. I have the airpods pro 2.
Excessive case battery drain on Airpods Pro 2 case whether pods are in them or not. Started happening after 5E135.
Thanks for sharing. Haven’t noticed the same behavior. Anyone else confirming this?
Have you tried to reset the AirPods and see if it makes a difference?
AirPods have been reset and repaired. This problem continues. New problems have now surfaced similar to Tracy in ‘Find My’ No location found and AirPods Pro 2 show up intermittently on the battery widget. Terrible update
Thanks for the followup. iOS 16.5 is due soon, let’s see if it will have an impact on the AirPods.
I’m having problems with Transparency mode since the update! It kicks-in automatically without any obvious reason! I have to manually re-enable ANC…
Thanks for sharing. We’ve covered this issue here. Also, iOS 16.5 has just been released. Let us know if it makes a difference.