Instagram Activity Status Not Working On iPhone In iOS 16
Instagram Activity Status not working on iPhone and iPad app in iOS 16? Last seen not showing for followers and users that you’ve had conversation in messages? You’re unable to see if an user is Active Now or when it was Last Active on the platform?
Instagram Activity Status Not Showing On iPhone
This issue has been reported by Paula:
“Since updating to IOS 15 and now IOS 16 I don’t get activity status from any followers and people that I normally contact via messages. Even on my second account on instagram I no longer see the last time I was online. Yes my activity status is on and I have not been blocked by anyone.”
We’ve found similar complaints on Reddit:
“I’ve tried everything but this thing refuses to work. I’m unable to see active now and last seen statuses on the chat screen.”
How To Fix Instagram Last Active Not Working
This glitch appears to be ongoing for months and it isn’t an iOS 16 specific problem. Either Meta, Apple or both have to issue an update to address it. In the meantime you can try the following:
1. Re-Enable Activity Status
First you should check the Activity Status setting within the Instagram app. If it’s enabled as expected, turn it off and back ON as follows:
- Open Instagram on iPhone or iPad.
- Tap on your profile icon, in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Tap the menu icon (three-horizontal lines), in the top-right corner.
- Go for Settings -> Privacy -> Activity Status.
- Turn Off Show Activity Status.
- Force Quit Instagram (swipe-up from the bottom of the screen and dismiss the Instagram card in the App Switcher).
- Re-open Instagram, turn Show Activity Status back ON, go for Messages and check if the Last Active status is displayed for your chat partners.
2. Reinstall Instagram
Users have confirmed that the Last Seen status is display again if delete and reinstall the app. This can be done easier by using the offload function:
- 1. Open Settings app on iPhone and browse for General -> iPhone Storage./li>
- 2. Search for Instagram and go for Offload App -> Reinstall App./li>
- 3. Open the app and check the Activity info of your contacts. Is it showing?
- 1. Open Instagram.com (direct link) in Safari or any other browser.
- 2. Click on Messages in the left sidebar.
- 3. Activity Status should display under the user name. Does it?
Downside: This fix works for a limited time. The Last Seen info stops showing after a couple of hours. You can reinstall Instagram again, but this will affect your productivity.
Workaround For Last Active Not Showing: Use Web Browser
The Instagram Activity Status works as expected if you use an Internet browser and not the app:
Credits: Thanks Paula for sharing this.
Have you managed to fix Instagram Activity Status not showing on iPhone? Do you have a better solution? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: You might be also interested in how to fix the unable to post Instagram stories on iPad in iPadOS 16?