The iOS devices are designed to withstand accidental water splashes and submersion although tests have proven that they can safely last for up to 30 minutes submerged 2 meters underwater. Nevertheless, the iPhone’s watertight properties can be easily weakened by shocks and the usual wear and tear.
Don’t Charge A Wet iPhone!
In this article I want to underline that an iPhone can be vulnerable for up to 5 hours since it has been removed from a water or liquid submersion. According to Apple, the lightning port requires at least 300 minutes until it dries out completely, if the iPhone is placed in a ventilated environment. No matter how hard you attempt to dry the lightning port, by shacking the device and hitting it gently against the palm of your hand, don’t plug it in until at least 5 hours pass since the water incident! This will help you prevent a short-circuit or other unwanted damage. The same restriction applies for connecting your iPhone to a computer or to a wall power outlet, it makes no difference!
More: If you aren’t aware that your device was exposed to water and you plug it in while the lightning port is still wet you could receive an error message on the screen that recommends you to disconnect the Lightning accessory as described here!
Fact: Do not use a hairdryer or other tools to accelerate the drying process. Let the water droplets that you can’t wipe with a lint-free cloth, to evaporate by themselves.
Wireless Charging: Newer iPhone models can be also charged without a wire, without needing to plug-in a chord in the lightning port. In this case make sure that you wipe off the entire phone. I still recommend you to wait a couple of hours before charging even if the lightning port isn’t involved. Just to be sure!
Tip: Also learn how to remove water from your iPhone speaker!
Related: For more tips about how to avoid iPhone water damage tap here!