Last updated on January 20th, 2023 at 01:20 amPosted in News by Mike on December 28, 2022
WhatsApp backup not working after iOS 16.2 update? It’s stuck on Preparing…? You’re unable to back up Chats to iCloud? The spinning wheel goes on forever and the Backing Up status never changes?
WhatsApp Backup Not Working iOS 16?
This issue has been reported by Fatima:
“After installing iOS 16.2 on Iphone 13 WhatsApp backup stopped working.”
We can replicate the problem and have found similar complaints on Apple’s Discussion forums:
“I can’t backup WhatsApp to my iCloud !”
“My WhatsApp app is not backing up for close to a month. It’s version is uptodate. I’m on iOS 16.1.2.”
How To Fix WhatsApp Backup Stuck On Preparing
Apparently, this is a WhatsApp issue that has to be fixed server-side or via an app update that should become available in the App Store.
Users have reported the same glitch on iPhones running iOS 14.8 and other older versions.\
The WhatsApp stuck preparing issue isn’t iOS 16 exclusive and here is what you can do to fix it:
1. Offload WhatsApp
First, you should try to reinstall the app. This will ensure that you get the most recent version and can also clear any glitches that could prevent the backup from succeeding.
Tip: We recommend you to use the offload function in:
- Settings -> General -> iPhone Storage -> WhatsApp -> Offload App -> Reinstall App
Fact: This has been confirmed as a temporary fix. Auto-backup will work once after the reinstall, but it will get stuck preparing the second time.
Update: Pablo informs that the latest WhatsApp version (23.1.75 – January 19) available in the App Store fixes this backup issue! Update and share your feedback in the comments please!
2. Cycle WhatsApp iCloud Permissions
- 1. In WhatsApp, open Settings -> Chats -> Chat Backup
- 2. Return to iPhone Home Screen and go for Settings -> Apple ID -> iCloud -> Shows All (Apps Using iCloud). Go to WhatsApp and turn Off the iCloud Access.
- 3. Return to WhatsApp: ‘Sign in to iCloud to back up your history. Tap here for instructions.’ should be displayed in the Chat Backup screen.
- 4. Return to iCloud Settings and turn WhatsApp iCloud access back ON.
- 5. Return to WhatsApp Chat Backup screen and tap Back Up Now! Does it work?
Credits: This troubleshooting sequence has been recommended by sfksuperman.
3. Use VPN
Harry informed us that he managed to solve this WhatsApp backup issue by using a free VPN:
- 1. Use an US VPN server or one that’s different from your country.
- 2. Close WhatsApp and re-open it.
- 3. Try to backup in Settings -> Chats -> Chat Backup.
Fact: This workaround has been confirmed by Mustafa.
(Update, Jan 10)
4. Turn On Private Relay
Gachuzo informs that he managed to fix WhatsApp backup stuck preparing by enabling Private Relay:
- 1. Open Settings and tap on your Apple ID.
- 2. Tap on iCloud and select Private Relay.
- 3. Use the knob to turn it ON.
Fact: This fix has been confirmed by Ivan.
Have you managed to fix WhatsApp backup not working on iPhone? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: Do you know that you can WhatsApp message yourself? Here is how to!