Last updated on September 13th, 2022 at 08:28 amPosted in News by Mike on August 23, 2022
Apple has released iPadOS 16.1 Beta build number 20B5027f for Developers and Public Beta testers. Update shows up as iPadOS 16.0 in the Software Update screen but is labeled 16.1 after the installation in Settings -> General -> About!
This confirms rumors that claimed that Apple plans to delay the release of iPadOS 16, because it plans to continue to fine tune new features like Stage Manager.
More, it seems that Apple is planning to host multiple events this autummn and will schedule iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 releases accordingly. New iPhone 14 with iOS 16 in September and new iPad models premiering iPadOS 16.1 in October.
iPadOS 16.1 Beta Update
- This release is available, over-the-air, in Settings -> General -> Software Update.
- It shows up as iPadOS 16.0 in the Software Update screen.
- Tap Download and Install and be patient until the update is requested, downloaded, prepared, verified and installed!
Fact: Of course, all this works if the iPadOS 16 Developer Configuration Profile is installed on your device. If your iPad runs a previous iPadOS 16 beta version, the Beta Profile is most likely still installed.
You can check it in Settings -> General -> VPN & Device Management.
iPadOS 16.1 Beta Not Available
If this release isn’t showing up you have to check the following:
- 1. iPadOS 16 Public Beta Profile – if you enrolled iPad via the Apple Beta Software Program platform you have to download the appropriate profile from the Apple Public Beta Program.
- 2. Install iPadOS 16 Beta Profile – More details here.
- 3. Reboot iPad – sometimes iPadOS might glitch out and you simply have to restart iPad for the software update to show up.
iPadOS 16.1 Beta Issues
Problems reported by users for this version are listed below:
- VPN not working on iPad after this update. Readers reported issues for Cisco IPSec VPN (Bog), OpenVPN (Jason), and 126.96.36.199 VPN (Vignesh M.).
Fix: Remove app and VPN profile -> Reset Network Settings -> Reconfigure VPN. Please confirm in the comments.
- WiFi not working, Settings confirms connectivity, but there’s no WiFi icon in status bar. | Reported by John C.
- To be updated! (Contribute in the comments!)
iPadOS 16.1 Beta Bugs Fixed
Issues from previous iPadOS 16 beta versions patched in this release are shared below:
- To be updated! (Share your findings in the comments.)
iPadOS 16.1 Beta Features
Changes spotted in this update, compared to the previous iPadOS 16 test version are listed here:
- To be updated!
Tip: If you want to check all iOS 16 / iPadOS 16 features please read this post.
Have you managed to update iPad to iPadOS 16.1? Did you spot any changes, new features or issues? Don’t hesitate to comment. We’re there to help.
Related: Apple has also rolled out iOS 16 Beta 7 (20A5356a), watchOS 9 Beta 7 (20R5359a) and tvOS 16 Beta 7 (20J5371a).