Last updated on August 23rd, 2021 at 11:44 am
Are you getting the Unable to load remote content privately error in Mail? This issue is common among iOS 15 users and is caused by the new Private Relay privacy feature. The warning message is triggered when an unread mail message is opened in the stock Mail app, Gmail, Yahoo and others.
Images within the mail message aren’t loading when the ‘Unable to load remote content’ error is displayed. If you’re willing to sacrifice privacy, you can tap Load Content and the pictures will download without iOS 15 being able to hide your IP from network trackers.
How To Fix Unable To Load Remote Content Privately
- Open Settings and browse for Wi-Fi.
- Tap the blue ‘i’ icon, available next to the name of the Wi-Fi network that your iPhone / iPad is currently connected to.
- Enable iCloud Private Relay.
- Open the App Switcher and force close Mail.
- Relaunch the Mail app and try to open a message. Are you still getting the Unable to load remote content privately error?
Tip: Private Relay not showing up? This is a premium iOS 15 feature and only available with an iCloud+ or Apple One subscription.
2. Disable Firewalls & DNS Guards
The Unable To Load Remote Content Privately error can be also generated by third-party apps that run firewalls or similar DNS protection.
If your iPhone or iPad runs software like AdGuard or 1Blockers make sure that you whitelist the Mail app to prevent this issue from triggering.
3. Disable Privacy Protection
A workaround for the Unable to load remote content privately error implies to turn off the iOS 15 Mail Privacy Protection.
However, this might not be the fix that you are looking for because you will stop seeing the error message, but sacrifice privacy instead.
How to: Browse for Settings -> Mail -> Privacy Protection -> Protect Mail Activity (Disable)
Did you manage to fix the Unable to load remote content privately error? Which of the above troubleshooting tips worked for you? Use the comments section and share your feedback.
Related: How to block email tracking on iPhone in iOS 14!