Last updated on June 15th, 2021 at 04:38 am
iOS 15 is the most important software update coming for iPhones in 2021. As usual, Apple plans to release it to the general public, this autumn, together with its new smartphone lineup, most likely labeled as iPhone 13. However, we will get a glimpse and even the chance to try out iOS 15, much sooner, as early as June 7, thanks to the World Wide Developer Conference organized by the Cupertino tech giant.
iOS 15 Timeline
In this article you can find the detailed timeline of the iOS 15 release, including the preview, new features, beta testing stage, public release and fine tuning software updates. The content is updated whenever a notable event related to iOS 15 is available!
1. iOS 15 Preview
The most important new features coming in iOS 15 have been highlighted during WWDC21. You can watch the full keynote replay over here.
2. iOS 15 Beta
- iOS 15 Developer Beta 1 (Build number: 19A5261w) – Released on June 7.
3. iOS 15 Public Beta
The iOS 15 beta will become available to everyone that’s willing to test it, around one week after the initial Developer release. This means that by mid June, anyone that signs up with the Apple Beta Software Program will be able to download the iOS 15 Beta Profile and install the public test version on their iPhone.
4. iOS 15 Release Date
The iOS 15 beta testing phase will last through the entire summer. iOS 15 public rollout date will be directly influenced by the release date of the 2021 iPhone flagships. If the COVID-19 pandemic will be kept under control, we expect Apple to resume its normal release schedule of early to mid September.
Fact: We will be able to provide exact timeframes as the release date approaches.
5. iOS 15 Software Updates
After the public release, the fine tuning stage starts. Incremental iOS 15 updates will follow to patch bugs that have managed to find their way to the public release. As usual, not all new features could be available in the iOS 15 initial release version. Thus subsequent iterations like iOS 15.1, 15.2, 15.3 will be used to drip-feed new options and performance improvements.
iOS 15 Compatibility
Believe it or not, iOS 15 is supporting all devices that are compatible with iOS 14. This means that all iPhones that run iOS 13 can be updated to iOS 15!
Surprisingly, the iPhone SE (1st gen), 6s and 6s Plus have made it on the iOS 15 compatibility list. They are the oldest devices supported!
iOS 15 Features
As expected iOS 15 adds a huge amount of new features. Apple lists them here.
We’re currently testing out iOS 15 and are publishing daily reviews. Check them out below:
- Drag & Drop On iPhone – In iOS 15 you can drag and drop images, text and other files across apps on iPhone. This feature is currently supported by built-in apps.
- Filter Notifications With Focus – and become more efficient at what you do, during specific times of day.
- Notification Summary – receive non-urgent notifications bundled in a summary at a scheduled time of day!
- Text From Camera – Allows you to quickly grab text from a label, book or any object that you can place in front of the iPhone’s camera viewfinder!
- Photos EXIF Metadata – You are now able to check the EXIF data of each image available in the Photos app. Detailed info about the camera used for capturing, location, time and various other parameters are one swipe away!
- Month Calendar Widget – A minor change adds a new small Month Calendar widget for the iPhone and iPad Home Screen. It allows you to easily glance at the current month.
- To be updated…
How To Update To iOS 15
Installing the iOS 15 beta on your iPhone isn’t complicated. However, we recommend you to backup your iPhone before starting. Ideally, we also suggest you to use a secondary test device, at least during the early beta test stages.
As usual, the initial iOS 15 beta versions will be resource intensive and buggy. This means that your iPhone’s battery could drain faster than usual and some functions might not work as expected!
A detailed iOS 15 how to update tutorial is available here.
iPadOS 15 Timeline
The iPadOS 15 release timeline will be identical with the one projected for iOS 15 above. Many features will be available in both versions too. Follow iPhoneTricks.org and we will keep you updated throughout the process.
- iPadOS 15 Developer Beta 1 (Build number: 19A5261w) – Released on June 7.
Fact: Alongside iOS 15 and iPadOS 15, Apple also plans to release new software versions for the Apple Watch (watchOS 8), Mac (macOS 12?), Apple TV (tvOS 15) and more. Stay tuned for detailed info!
Related: Check out the 50 new features that have been introduced alongside iOS 14, last year.