Last updated on January 4th, 2022 at 08:45 pmPosted in Bug Fixes by Tyrone on October 29, 2021
Are USB ports not working on MacBook ever since you updated to macOS Monterey? USB hubs fail to recognize your external devices such as SSDs? This is a serious macOS 12 bug! It’s a widespread issue, especially amongst M1 Mac owners, but not only.
USB Ports Not Working On Mac
“2 days ago, I updated my MBA M1 to MacOS 12.0.1. After that, my usb hubs don’t work. It delivers power, but not data.”
“Just updated to Monterey 12.0.1 and its not recognizing my external hard drives.”
I’ve researched this issue and found numerous similar reports on:
- Apple’s Developer Forums – These reports show that the issue surfaced ever since the beta testing stages, but Apple seems to have failed to patch it for the public release.
- Apple’s Discussion Forums – a recent thread started yesterday.
- Reddit – user complaining that he is not able to use his mouse and keyboard anymore because USB hub fails in macOS Monterey!
- Vava 8-in-1 Type C USB hub ($59.99)
- Vava 12-in-1 Type C USB Hub ($149.99)
- Anker 8-port USB hub ($79.99) – Thanks Sandy.
- Hama 7-in-1 Docking Station (00135764) – USB ports aren’t working as confirmed by Adrian S.
- Green cell AK50 USB hub is also affected by this bug. Thanks Narcin.
- OWC USB-C Dock only delivers power. No data and no audio via the 3.5 mm port. Thanks Angelo.
- AUKEY hub model CB-C72 not working. Thanks Joseph.
- AUKEY USB hub model CB-C78 not working. Thanks Andres.
- Satechi TYPE-C HDMI ADAPTER 4K 60HZ not working. Thanks Oleksii.
- Ugreen Ultra Slim 5-in-1 USB C Hub doesn’t work. Thanks Alex.
- To be updated.
How To Fix USB Hubs Not Working In macOS Monterey
If you heavily rely on USB hubs and read this article in useful time, don’t update to macOS Monterey just yet! Prevention is the only solution at this moment!
According to iPhoneTricks.org reader Apri, Apple is aware of this issue and plans to fix it in an upcoming software update.
Update: Apple seems to have fixed some of the USB ports issues in macOS 12.1! Thanks Mike for confirming! Proceed with the update. If you still encounter problems use the tips provided below
What’s worrisome though, is that the macOS Monterey USB bug has surfaced since the early betas and Apple has failed to find a solution during several months of beta testing. Hopefully, they will come up with a fix soon!
macOS 12 USB Bug Workaround
After reading tens of reports I can conclude that a bug causes macOS Monterey to stop supporting a large number of USB hubs. Some will work though, but not with all ports on the hub, while for others not ports work at all!
For example, USB-C & HDMI ports might work, but in general most USB 3.0 ports don’t work! These ports do power devices. They will for example charge an iPhone, but the device won’t be able to transfer any data to your Mac. The same goes for external SSD drives and more.
Does Your USB Hub Work?
So, the only way way that you can get around the macOS Monterey USB issues is by trial and error.
Bryan confirms that only one of his USB hubs are working after macOS 12.0.1 update and that’s the Vava dock. You can grab one from Amazon.com:
USB Hubs Not Working
Below you can find out some docks that won’t function as expected in macOS Monterey 12.0.1:
If you own an USB hub that works in macOS 12 please share it in the comments section and we will update it here. Users in urgent need might be willing to purchase them until Apple fixes the USB hub-gate via software update!
Potential Fix For USB Hubs Not Working
(Updated, November 11)
Oliver suggests that the actual hub might not be the issue, but the cables that are being used to connect.
“After a few days of testing I have managed to get my devices and hubs working by connecting to them with USB-FI certified USB-C 3.1 (or USB 3.0 Type-A) gen1 cables. It seems that anything else would only let them connect at USB 2.0 speeds (and some of my devices don’t work with USB 2.0, so don’t even connect).”
If you have the available cables, test it out and let us know.
(Update, January 4): Joseph B. confirms this fix. He managed to fix USB connection not working in macOS Monterey, between Mac and Dell UltraSharp 27″ Monitor by swapping the original Gen 2 cables with the UGREEN USB C to USB C Cable USB 3.1 Gen 1 Type C PD Fast Charging 5Gbps from Amazon.com!
Another Fix For USB Hubs Not Working?
(Updated, December 1)
Chris informs that he managed to solve this macOS Monterey issue with the help of an UGREEN adapter USBC Male OTG Cable Type C USB 3.0 Female. You can grab one too from Amazon. Please inform us if it helps!
Disclaimer: iPhoneTricks.org has an affiliate partnership with Amazon. If you purchase a product after clicking the above link, you will help us receive a small commission that allows us to cover website costs.
Related: Check out other common macOS Monterey issues below:
– Emails not loading in Mail after macOS 12.0.1 update.
– Screensaver displays black screen instead of photos selected from your folder or album.
– System has run out of application memory error!
– Photo slideshows not playing.