Last updated on December 12th, 2020 at 05:57 pm
Apple has just released iOS 14.3 Release Candidate 2 build number 18C66, for Developers and Beta testers, only two days after seeding iOS 14.3 RC 1 (18C65) and 96 hours before the expected iOS 14.3 public release date.
We initially called it iOS 14.3 GM (Golden Master), but apparently Apple has changed the naming of these pre-final versions from GM to RC, to avoid confusing situations just like this one.
Golden Masters vs Release Candidate
While the GM term has been used for an iOS software version that’s identical to the one that will be released, but is first seeded to Developers for a final test, it made it hard for Apple to justify a subsequent GM update in case a bug was detected between the GM release and the scheduled public release.
With iOS 14.3 Release Candidate seeded on Tuesday, Apple detected one or more bugs and was able to fix them in iOS 14.3 RC 2. In this case Release Candidate is a more general term that allows Apple to issue an infinite number of RC versions prior to the public release.
iOS 14.3 Release Candidate 2
iOS 14.3 RC 2 comes with an identical update log and download file size. Apple doesn’t mention about the improvements added, but we can only hope that this is related to the annoying Messages notifications bug, that causes missing alerts for new iMessages or regular SMS. Yes, I know it’s wishful thinking, as long as the official bug fix log doesn’t mention it!
Fact: There are many other important bugs found in iOS 14.2 and iOS 14.2.1 that are waiting for a fix. We’ve listed them here.
How To Update To iOS 14.3 Release Candidate 2
If your iPhone is already on iOS 14.3 RC, only have to open Settings,browse for General -> Software Update and tap on Download and Install.
If your device is running the current iOS 14.2 or iOS 14.2.1 version and you want to upgrade to iOS 14.3 RC 2 to test if some of those annoying bugs have been patched you have to download the iOS 14 beta profile first. A detailed step-by-step tutorial is available here.
iOS 14.3 RC 2 Bug Fixes
- Some MMS messages may not be received.
- Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message.
- Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app.
- App folders may fail to open.
- Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work.
- Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings.
- MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power.
- Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup.
- The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver.
Have you updated to iOS 14.3 RC 2? Did you notice any additional bug fixes? Use the comments section and let us know. We will share your findings in the main article!
Related: Some of the most important new features coming in iOS 14.3 are listed here.