Apple has just released iOS 14.3
Today, Apple has also announced the new AirPods Max, over-ear wireless headphones, that will start shipping on December 15. Considering that the premium headset requires iOS 14.3 to run, we expect iOS 14.3 to be released the latest, by next Monday.
In the meantime, this post could have been about all the new features coming in iOS 14.3, however the main focus is on the highly awaited bug fixes of some serious iOS 14 bugs.
Update: iOS 14.3 Release Candidate 2, build number 18C66 is now available!
Unfortunately, these much needed bug patches aren’t included in this iOS 14.3 RC version. Although, in most cases the Release Candidate version ends up to be identical to the public release version, there have been cases when bug fixes have been added right before the public release, so there’s still a tiny bit of hope left that Apple will make this work in the nick of time.
iOS 14.3 Bugs Fixed
Here is the complete list of bugs fixes mentioned in the update log:
- Some MMS messages may not be received.
- Contact groups failed to display members when composing a message.
- Some videos would not appear correctly when shared from the Photos app.
- App folders may fail to open.
- Spotlight search results, and opening apps from Spotlight may not work.
- Bluetooth could be unavailable in Settings.
- MagSafe Duo Charger could wirelessly charge your iPhone at less than the maximum power.
- Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol could fail to complete setup.
- The keyboard would dismiss when adding a list in Reminders while using VoiceOver.
iOS 14.3 Bugs Not Fixed
Here is a list of the most common and serious bugs reported in iOS 14 that aren’t addressed in the update log. Most of them have been reported as not fixed. Contribute to this article and share your feedback using the comments section!
- Messages notifications not working for iMessages and regular SMS. This bug has surfaced in iOS 14.2 and is occurring randomly. When it does the sender is also receiving a read receipt, although the receiver hasn’t even been notified about the new message.
- iPhone and iPad keyboard lags when typing in Messages and other apps.
- Apps crash randomly because of poor RAM management and iPhone displays the Home Screen.
Sound Recognition bug is crashing the Settings app and the feature can’t be edited.
Update: This bug has been fixed in iOS 14.3 RC 2
- iPhone app closing animation stuttering when dismissing an app to bring up the Home Screen.
- iPhone 12 MagSafe animation and charging issues involving MagSafe puck, cases and other certified Qi chargers.
- iPhone 12 display flickering green tint when showing true black backgrounds.
- iPhone 12 No Service and poor cellular signal issues.
iOS 14.3 Update Log
Golden Master versions are released together with the official changelog and iOS 14.3 RC makes no difference. Below you can read the complete iOS 14.3 update log:
- Apple Fitness+
– A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
– New Fitness app on iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV to browse Fitness+ workouts, trainers, and personalized recommendations
– Video workouts added each week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Walking, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
– Playlists curated by Fitness+ trainers to complement your workout
– Fitness+ subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, and United States
- AirPods Max
Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
– High fidelity audio for rich sound
– Adaptive EQ adapts sound in real time to the personal fit of ear cushions
– Active Noise Cancellation to block out environmental noise
– Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
– Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
– Apple ProRAW photos can be captured on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
– Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
– Option to record video at 25 fps
– Mirror the front facing camera for still photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, and iPhone X
– New privacy information section on App Store pages that includes a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
- TV app
– An all-new Apple TV+ tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
– Enhanced search so you can browse by category such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
– Top search results shown with the most relevant matches across movies, TV shows, cast, channels, and sports
- App Clips
– Support for launching App Clips by scanning Apple-designed App Clip Codes via Camera or from Control Center
– Ability to indicate pregnancy, lactation, or contraceptive use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app in order to better manage period and fertile window predictions
– Air quality data is now available in Weather, Maps, and Siri for locations in China mainland
– Air quality health recommendations are provided in Weather and Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
– Air quality data in Weather, Maps, and Siri reflects updated national scales for Germany and Mexico
Ecosia search engine option in Safari
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website:
How To Install iOS 14.3
Those of you that already run iOS 14.3 Beta 3 or earlier, only have to open the Settings app and browse for General -> Software Update. Tap Download and Install on the iOS 14.3 update screen and your device will upgrade to the Golden Master version over-the-air.
If you’re running the public iOS 14.2 or iOS 14.2.1 release, you have to download the iOS 14 beta profile first, to enroll in the iOS 14.3 beta program. A detailed step-by-step tutorial is available here.
Have you updated your iPhone or iPad to iOS 14.3 GM? What’s your feedback? Did you notice any bug fixes, excepting those mentioned in the update log? Use the comments section and let us know.
Related: Apple will also release watchOS 7.2 and tvOS 14.3 alongside iOS 14.3!