iPad freezing frequently after iPadOS 16 update? Device becomes unresponsive for a good couple of seconds? Pressing the Home Button brings back the Home Screen after a significant delay? You’re not alone!
iPad Freezing Up Frequently
This issue has been initially reported by Timmermans:
“After updating my iPad Pro 2021 12,9 inch to iPados 16.1, I have the issue that my iPad freezes. Pressing power or volume doesn’t help. After about 5 seconds its goes back to main screen.”
The problem has been confirmed by Michael:
“I have just now the same issue.”
We could not replicate this bug, but have found similar complaints on Reddit:
“On random apps, it just freezes. You can close the app via multitasking but it happens frequently for me.”
Are you experiencing the iPad freezing episodes too? Share your feedback in the comments along with any other useful info. Are you still encountering this unexpected behavior in iPadOS 16.1.1 too?
How To Fix iPad Freezing After iPadOS 16 Update
There’s not much you can do to prevent these issues:
1. Update Apps
Open the App Store and make sure that you install all available app updates. Third-party apps might no be updated with iPadOS 16 support yet and thus generate conflicts and lags.
2. Re-Open App
- If iPad isn’t fully unresponsive, double-click the Home Button to open the App Switcher.
- Swipe-up, on the app’s card, to force quit it.
- Re-open it from the Home Screen.
3. Force Reboot iPad
You can also try to restart your device. A fresh start should unfreeze iPadOS 16:
- iPads with Home Button: Press & hold the top button + Home button at the same time until the Apple logo appears.
- iPads with Touch ID / Face ID: Click & quickly release Volume Up, followed by Volume Down and then press & hold the top button until you see the Apple logo.
Have you managed to fix iPad freezing in iPadOS 16? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: For more iPadOS 16.1 bugs and available workarounds please check our extended review.