Last updated on January 7th, 2022 at 05:52 pmPosted in Bug Fixes by Patricia on December 20, 2021
Are Significant Locations not showing on iPhone after iOS 15 update? The privacy feature is able to identify and record important places, but the History section has vanished. The Recent Records map is blank too!
Significant Locations Not Working?
“Please look up the bug with the important places, during COVID this feature was very important to look up where I went to in the past.”
However, this problem seems to be around since last summer, during the iOS 15 beta testing stages, as reported in this Reddit thread:
Why does significant locations no longer show history?
Are you experiencing the same issue? Use the comments section to confirm it. Although already reported, we plan to send feedback for it too. Apparently, Apple has neglected it, or wasn’t able to do it until the public release of iOS 15.2.
How To Check Significant Locations
Workaround For Significant Locations Not Working On iPhone
- Open Google Maps app on iPhone.
- Tap on your Profile icon or initial, available in the top right corner of the screen.
- Go for ‘Your data in Maps’!
- Scroll all the way to the bottom of the screen and tap on ‘Download your Maps data’.
- On the ‘Google Takeout’ screen, select the types of data that you want to export. Tap Next step.
- Choose the Frequency and hit Create export.
Tip: To be sure that you don’t miss anything select all three available: Location History, Maps (your places) and My Maps.
Fact: This will export all of your locations and data using a .zip file and send it to your email. It could take some time, but you will be able to see all your Significant Location info!
Credits: Many thanks for this workaround to our reader Aiden.
How To Fix Significant Locations History Not Showing
Turning Location Services On and Off or restarting iPhone won’t do the trick.
- Open System Preferences and click on Security & Privacy.
- Click the lock in the bottom-left corner of the screen and type the password you use to log-in to your Mac with.
- In Location Services, scroll for System Services and click Details.
- Click Details, available next to Location Services. The map along with the history of your Significant Locations will be displayed on your MacBook.
Credits: Special thanks to our anonymous reader (‘NA’) for sharing this workaround!
Have you managed to fix Significant Locations now showing on iPhone? Don’t hesitate to share your solution in the comments section.
Why Are Significant Locations Useful?
This feature records and creates a history of the important places that you’ve visited.
For example, if you travel to a new location and park your car. You can review the Significant Locations history in case you don’t remember where the parked location is.
Fact: This feature also allows your iPhone to determine the paces that you’re usually active in and allow Siri to make intelligent suggestions based on your history in that specific location.
With Significant Location history not showing, Siri’s suggestions might be less accurate too!
Related: Screen Time app showing unreal usage times? Here is the fix!