CarPlay not working anymore after iOS 16.1 update? iPhone is unable to connect to your car anymore? Getting ‘This accessory is not supported by this device’ error? You’re not alone and this issue is occurring with various car models!
CarPlay Not Working iOS 16.1
This problem has been reported by several readers including Bob:
“CarPlay does not work at all after updating to iOS 16.1. Tried in 2 different cars with CarPlay and neither worked. Also seem to have an issue with the phone actually recognizing that a charger is connected.”
More CarPlay Problems
Other users claim that CarPlay is connecting but not working as expected in iOS 16.1:
- Alison (iPhone 14 PRo) informs that there’s no sound from either end when making or receiving a call.
- CarPlay turns Off and back On for Mick (iPhone 13 Pro Max).
- CarPlay navigation not working on either Apple Maps or Google Maps for Mike (iPhone 13), Rami and gcy.
We’ve found similar complaints on Reddit:
- “I have a Vauxhall Corsa in the UK. Since I’ve installed iOS 16.1 on Monday, my CarPlay does not work at all.”
- “I have same problem ‘this accessory is not supported by this device’.”
- “I get the message Unable to Connect.”
How To Fix CarPlay Stopped Working
CarPlay is definitely glitchy in iOS 16.1 and Apple will have to address all these issues in an upcoming software update!
However, until then you can try the following troubleshooting options:
1. Reset All Settings
dimpleschan confirms that he managed to fix iOS 16.1 CarPlay issues after resetting the settings on iPhone:
Open Settings and browse for General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.
Tip: Make sure that you know your WiFi password before resetting, you will need it to reconnect to the Internet.
2. Unpair And Re-Pair
Another user confirms that he managed to fix CarPlay not working after applying the following steps:
- 1. Remove vehicle from the CarPlay settings on iPhone. (Settings -> General -> CarPlay -> Available Cars)
- 2. Remove iPhone from the car.
- 3. Reboot iPhone (use the force restart comobo).
- 4. Re-pair iPhone to car.
- 5. Toggle with the CarPlay apps and the functionality should start working again on the display. (Try to toggle Google Maps off).
Have you managed to fix CarPlay not working in iOS 16.1? Do you have a better solution or other problems to report? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: For more iOS 16.1 problems and the available workarounds please check our extended review!