Downgrade iOS 16.2 To 15 Without Losing Data (iOS 15.6 RC)
Are you looking to downgrade iOS 16.2 to 15 without losing data? Yes, that’s still possible as long as iOS 15.6 RC remains singed! You need a computer, Mac or Windows and a Lightning to USB (USB-C) cable.
Downgrade iOS 16.2 To 15 Still Possible?
According to websites that track the signing status of iOS versions, there’s no public iOS 15 version that’s still signed for iPhone and iPad models that are iOS 16 / iPadOS 16 compatible!
However, these sites don’t track beta versions. According to our test and reports from our readers iOS 15.6 RC build number 19G69 is still signed for all iOS 16 and iPadOS 16 compatible devices!
This means that you can downgrade any iPhone or iPad model running an iOS 16.x version to iOS 15.6 RC (19G69)!
Downgrade iOS 16.2 To 15 Requirements
To be able to revert to iOS 15 you need the following:
- A computer running macOS or Windows OS and the Finder / iTunes software updated to the latest version.
- A Lightning to USB (USB-C) cable to connect iPhone / iPad to computer.
- The iOS 15.6 RC ipsw file, downloaded on your computer. (Use the download links provided below)
- An encrypted iPhone / iPad backup. We recommend you to perform it locally on your computer before starting the iOS 16.2 downgrade!
iOS 15.6 RC IPSW Download Links
Before you start the iOS 16.2 to 15 downgrade download the iOS 15.6 RC ipsw file that matches your iPhone / iPad model:
- Download links for iPhone: Open this article, scroll to the bottom of the content and click on the iPhone model that matches your device. Allow the download and be patient until the file is fully saved. (Files are downloaded from Apple’s servers!)
- Download links for iPad: Open this article, scroll to the middle of the content and click on the iPhone model that matches your device. Allow the download and be patient until the file is fully saved. (Files are downloaded from Apple’s servers!)
How To Downgrade iOS 16.2 to iOS 15
We’ve published a detailed step-by-step how-to downgrade grade for iOS 16.1 to 15. The identical steps are valid for reverting from 16.2 to 15.6 RC. Tap here for all the details!
You can also follow the steps in our YouTube video guide:
Important: To be able to restore a backup created in iOS 16.2 in iOS 15.6 RC, you need to tweak the backup file!
Have you managed to downgrade iOS 16.2 to 15 on iPhone? What about iPadOS 16.2 to 15 on iPad?
Share it in the comments, along with the day of your downgrade, to confirm that iOS 15.6 RC is still signed and keep this post up to date!
Also please share your downgrade reasons. It will help us cover all bugs and submit detailed feedback to Apple!
Don’t hesitate to ask for help if you encounter problems or issues along the way!
Related: You can also downgrade iOS 16.2 to 16.1.1 if you don’t want to go all the way back to iOS 15!
Worked today ( January 7th, 2023) on my iPad 9: from 16.2 restored to 15.6 RC, tweaked the backup, restored it and then updatet to 15.7.2.
Downgrade was neccessary because air play did not work anymore with wireless monitors at work.
Thanks a lot!
You’re welcome. Glad it helped. Thanks for confirming.
worked on iphone 8. Downgraded from 16.2 did a backup and tweaked it, will anything happen when the 15.6 rc gets unsigned?
No, it will be fine.
iPhone 8 review! My device was running iOS 16.3.1. Yesterday was Feb, 18th 2023. That is the day when I downgraded my iPhone 8 to version, 15.6rc. My device was jailbroken with the latest Palera1n JB on iOS 16.3.
I was having some issues with the Sileo app that is pre-installed with the Palera1n JB. While browsing online I saw that you could downgrade back to iOS 15.6rc. Honestly, iOS 15.6rc is the best version that I have used since my time with this phone. The version of iOS is very smooth for the iPhone 8. I am very much pleased.