Apple has confirmed, last year, that iPhone 12 no sound issue might be caused by a faulty hardware component. A service program was started to fix this problem, free of charge, for all affected users that meet the requirements listed below.
iPhone 12 No Sound Issue
This problem has been recently reported by Ahmad in our iOS 15.6 review page:
“The earpiece speaker of my iPhone 12 has reduced its volume and not been able to hear properly during calls or voice messages.”
Fact: Apple claims that very small percentage of iPhone 12 users are affected by this manufacturing flaw.
However, the support document that describes the terms and conditions of the iPhone 12 no sound service program has been recently updated from 2 years of coverage to 3 years since the first retail sale of the unit!
Conclusion: Does this mean that the iPhone 12 no sound issue is common along users?
Service Program Requirements
- 1. Apple’s support document mentions that only the iPhone 12 and iPhone 12 Pro models are eligible for this free repair.
- 2. For the iPhone 12 Pro to get a free service for this issue, the device has to be unable to “emit sound from the receiver when you make or receive calls”.
- 3. Another limitation is the manufacturing date of your device. Eligible iPhone 12 models have to be manufactured between October 2020 and April 2021.
- 4. Affected users can replace the broken component on the receiver module in any Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider.
How To Check iPhone Manufacturing Date
- Connect iPhone to Mac using USB to lightning cable.
- Open coconutBattery app. (You can download it from here, if you’re not using it already.)
- Tap iOS Devices and iPhone 12 Manufacturing Date is listed right above Cycle Count.
- Create an appointment to an Apple Retail Store.
- Contact Apple Support for mail-in service using the Apple Repair Center.
- Search for an Apple Authorized Service Provider next to your location.
Have you also experienced the iPhone 12 no sound on calls issue? Is your device eligible for a free repair? Did you benefit from the service program? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: You might be also interested in AirPods Pro service program for sound issues!