macOS Catalina 10.15.5 Released With New Battery Health Management Feature
This new feature aims to extend the lifespan of a laptop battery by reducing the rate of chemical aging. This is achieved by carefully controlling the battery charge cycles, analyzing charging patterns and assessing the overall health of the battery. According to Apple charging your MacBook at fully capacity and keeping it charged at all times can negatively affect battery health. The new Battery Health Management option can decide to stop charging before the battery reaches full capacity, if it expects you to hold the device plugged in for a long time.
How To Update To macOS Catalina 10.15.5
This update can be easily downloaded over-the-air from the Mac App Store. Here is what you have to do:
1. Click on the Launchpad.
2. Select System Preferences.
3. Click on Software Update.
4. Hit Update Now and wait until macOS 10.15.5 is downloaded and installed on your MacBook.
Fact: The Macbook automatically reboots after the installation process is completed.
macOS 10.15.5 Catalina Full Update Log
- Besides the new Battery Health Management feature announced at the beginning of this article, the update also includes a fix for a bug that was causing the Finder app to freeze during large data transfers to RAID volumes. This problem surfaced after the release of macOS 10.15.4.
- macOS 10.15.5 also includes the FaceTime Prominence preference option that was added to iOS 13.5 and allows users to prevent tiles from auto enhancing when a participants speaks during a FaceTime call. This feature can become annoying in case of large group video calls when members often speak in the same time.
Fact: The complete update log that includes many more fixes is available in the screenshot uploaded nearby.
Have you upgraded to macOS Catalina 10.15.5? Are you planning to use the Battery Health Management feature? Let us know in the comments section available below.
Related: Is your iPhone or iPad constantly disconnecting from your Mac when plugged in? Here is how to fix it!