Is your keyboard lagging on iPhone and iPad since you updated to iOS 14 / iPadOS 14? You’re not the only one! This is a common issue, that’s occurring mostly in the Messages app. When the user taps on the text input field, the keyboard either loads with a delay, lags when typing or freezes. More, there’s an overall sense of keyboard slowness.
There are many troubleshooting tips that you can attempt, including turn off Reachability, disable Zoom, enable Reduce Motion, but neither worked on our devices.
How To Fix Keyboard Lag In iOS 14
- 1. Open the Settings app on your iPhone or iPad.
- 2. Tap on General.
- 3. Scroll all the way down to Reset.
- 4. Tap on Reset Keyboard Dictionary.
- 5. Provide your iPhone’s Passcode and the keyboard lag bug should be fixed.
Update (October 22):
Additional iPhone Keyboard Lag Fix
- 1. Open the Settings app and browse for Messages. Disable iMessage!
- 2. Return to the Settings home screen and tap on FaceTime. Disable FaceTime!
- 3. Force restart your iPhone.
How To: Click and release Volume Up, Volume Down and press & hold Side Button until the Apple logo is displayed on the screen. Be patient until the iPhone reboots!
- 4. Turn iMessages and FaceTime back On! Keyboard lag should be fixed!
Fact: Waiting for activation… message has to be displayed under the iMessage label, to confirm that the service is resetting.
Thanks to: Peter Thomsen for refining this troubleshooting method!
Quick Fix: You can also fix the keyboard lag issue with an iPhone reboot, but we noticed that this fix is not always working and even when it does, it’s short lived, because the glitch occurs again sooner rather than later!
Do you also have problem with your keyboard lagging in iOS 14? Use the comments section available below, and let us know if the above fix helped you out!
Related: Do you know how to type the degree symbol with your iPhone keyboard?