Last updated on October 16th, 2021 at 04:41 pm
Is Visual Look Up not working on your iPhone after updating to iOS 15? This is a spectacular new feature that uses AI to automatically detect and highlight the main subject of an image, by providing one-tap access to additional info available on the web!
Visual Look Up Not Available On iPhone?
If this feature doesn’t show up in Photos you first should check if your device is supporting it!
Visual Look Up Compatibility List
This means that the supported iPhone and iPad models are:
- iPhone XR
- iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max
- iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max
- iPhone 12 mini, iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro, iPhone 12 Pro Max
- iPhone 13 mini, iPhone 13, iPhone 13 Pro, iPhone 13 Pro Max
- iPhone SE (2020)
- iPad Air 3rd generation
- iPad mini 5th generation
- 11-inch iPad Pro (2018 and later)
- 12.9-inch iPad Pro (2018 and later)
- iPad 8th generation
- iPad Air 4th generation
- iPad Pro (2021)
iOS 15 iPhones Not Compatible With Visual Look Up
- iPhone SE (first generation)
- iPhone 6S, iPhone 6S Plus
- iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus
- iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus
- iPhone X
How To Fix Visual Look Up Not Working
If your devices are compatible but Visual Lookup doesn’t show up in Photos you can apply these workarounds:
1. Restart iPhone
First you should reboot your device. A fresh start might flush any minor glitches that could prevent Visual Lookup from working as expected.
How to: You can turn iPhone Off and power it back ON, or use the force restart combo!
2. Enable ‘Show in Look Up’
- Open Settings and scroll for Siri & Search.
- Show in Look Up, under Content From Apple, should be enabled. If not turn it On using the toggle!
3. Change Device Region & Language
According to Apple, this new feature is only available to the US. If you’re unsure if Visual Look Up is available in your country, I recommend you to switch language and region to English, United States.
How to: Open Settings and browse for General -> Language & Region. Restart your iPhone after you perform the changes!
4. Select Proper Image
In these early stages Visual Look Up only works if the main subject can be easily distinguished in the frame. For example, if you have a fruit basket, Visual Lookup won’t work because it can only identify a single object in the image!
Fact: Check the screenshots provided nearby and notice how Visual Look Up is available for the apple photo, but doesn’t show up when multiple fruits are in the frame!
More: Visual Look Up seems to work best with landmarks and plants in these early iOS 15 days.
5. Swipe Image Up
If Visual Look Up isn’t available although the image meets all the requirements, try to swipe it up to bring up the Rich info panel, that’s also new to iOS 15. This gesture could activate Visual LookUp for the photo in question. Does it?
Visual Look Up No Content Found Error?
Make sure that your device is online! Your iPhone requires Internet to pull up the web results when you tap the Visual Lookup icon!
If device is offline the No Content Found error message might be displayed on the Visual Look Up info card!
Have you managed to fix Visual Look Up not working on iPhone? Did any of the above troubleshooting steps help out? Do you have a better solution? Use the comments section to share your feedback.
Related: Check out fixes for other common iOS 15 problems:
– Live Text not working on iPhone? Here is why!
– Safari video playback not working? Fix the black screen bug!
– Instagram Stories no sound, when Silent mode is enabled on iPhone!
– FB Messenger videos flickering or stuttering?
– iPhone Storage bug showing wrong capacity calculation.