iOS 16.2 Release Date, Notes, Features & Fixes
Last updated on December 11th, 2022 at 04:25 pmPosted in TILs by Patricia on December 4, 2022
iOS 16.2 release date is approaching fast and most iPhone and iPad users are looking forward to this update! New features like Freeform app, Lock Screen widgets, as wells as improvements to Stage Manger. Lots of bug fixes are also expected!
Update: iOS 16.2 release date is Tuesday, December 13, 2022!
iOS 16.2 Release Date
At the moment we can only anticipate when this 2nd major iOS 16 update of the year will be released.
Based on Apple’s habits, patterns and available info we know the following:
- 1. Apple has confirmed that apps like Freeform, which is included as a new 16.2 feature will be updated by the end of the year. This makes December the iOS 16.2 release month.
- 2. The Cupertino-based tech giant has never released a scheduled public software update between Christmas and New Year (only betas). More, App Store app validations for developers are paused between Christmas and New Year.
- 3. Public software updates aren’t released during the holidays either, which means that Apple will release iOS 16.2 before Christmas Eve.
- 4. We had four iOS 16.2 betas released so far with build numbers: 20C5032e -> 20C5043e -> 20C5049e -> 20C5058d -> a(b) -> RC.
Betas are usually released every Tuesday. This means that we can expect iOS 16.2 Beta 5 on December 6 and the RC version on December 13.
Fact: Apple usually seeds 5 betas + the Release Candidate version (RC) before the public release. And betas are released once per week the soonest.
Update: Apple has skipped Beta 5 and has released iOS 16.2 RC on December 7th!
Conclusion: iOS 16.2 will be most likely released on Tuesday,
December 20, December 13!
Important: Apple has skipped one week of beta releases during Thanksgiving and Black Friday week. So, it might cut corners and seed directly the RC version on Tuesday, December 6. This would mean that we can expect 16.2 in the week of December 12 – 16.
Most likely iOS 16.2 Release Dates: December 13 or December 14. Same dates for iPadOS 16.2, watchOS 9.2, tvOS 16.2, macOS 13.1 and HomePod OS 16.2.
iOS 16.2 Release Notes
The full update log will be updated here a couple of days before the public release. Apple includes the release notes in the Release Candidate version and we will update them here as soon as available.
- Coming soon.
iOS 16.2 Features
We’ve covered all changes expected in this update during the beta testing stages. Here are some of the highlights:
- 1. Freeform App – Will be available on iPhone, iPad and Mac. It’s a whiteboard app for sketching, drawing, notes and more. It emphasizes collaboration between participants. It is available in the latest iPhone, iPad, and Mac betas.
- 2. Sleep Widget for Lock Screen – available for those that use Sleep on Apple Watch.
- 3. Medication Widget for Lock Screen added to the Health app.
- 4. New Home App Architecture – provides faster and more stable performance in homes with many smart accessories. It comes hand in hand with the new Matter standard.
- 5. Stage Manager for iPad with External Display – Stage Manager is back to M1 and M2 iPads connected to an external display. Up to 8 apps can be used for multitasking. A new option allows you to drag a window from iPad to an external display and vice versa.
- 6. AOD Improvements – New toggles that allow you to disable wallpaper and notifications when Always On is enabled.
Tip: You can review all new features here (1, 2, 3 and 4).
iOS 16.2 Bug Fixes?
There are still lots of day-one iOS 16 bugs that need to be fixed. Expectations are high for this update:
- 1. Battery draining too fast.
- 2. Wi-fi disconnecting frequently on 2.4 GHz networks.
- 3. Wallpaper turns black on both Lock and Home Screen.
- 4. Face ID stopped working after iOS 16 update.
- 5. Older iPhone models crashing and restarting unexpectedly and many more covered here.
Are you waiting for iOS 16.2 release to finally update from 15.x? Waiting for day-one iOS 16 bugs to be fixed? Or you’re more interested in the new features? Share your feedback in the comments.
Related: iOS 16.2 beta is ongoing and we cover every version. You can get all the info from our iOS 16 timeline post!
Why isn’t y’all doing what you suppose to do the rc verison suppose to be out.
A new beta should be released today. In a couple of hours time.